If you’re redoing your bathroom, you have a very important question to answer: do you go with a shower curtain or sliding glass door? You might instantly gravitate toward the softness of a linen shower curtain, or determine that you prefer the modern look and clean lines of a glass shower door.
Everyone has their own opinion about who wins the battle between shower doors and shower curtains, but here’s a look at what might make one better than the other for your situation.
Benefits of Shower Curtains
- Softer appearance: The bathroom is a place of many hard surfaces. If you replace your shower door with a shower curtain, you add some much-needed softness to a space that could otherwise appear harsh and sterile.
- More personality: Shower curtains come in all colors and prints to help you personalize the space with your signature flair. Best of all, when you get tired of the look, you can swap out the shower curtain for a new one.
- Privacy in shared bathrooms: If it’s likely you’ll be sharing the bathroom with someone who isn’t your significant other, you may require the privacy of a shower stall with an opaque shower curtain instead of a see-through glass door.
- Easy to wash: When the first signs of staining or mildew appear, simply strip the curtain down and throw it in the wash. Make sure you choose a machine washable material for this very purpose.
- Flexible: Want to hide a dirty bathtub when guests come over? Then close the shower curtain. Or, do you want to show off custom tiles and gleaming porcelain? Then throw the curtain wide open! Tiebacks offer a traditional look that frames your tub or shower like a window.
Benefits of Shower Doors
- Complete enclosure: There’s no need to fear water leaking out or cold air sneaking in when your shower is fully enclosed with a glass sliding door.
- Larger-looking bathroom: Since you can see through a glass enclosure, the shower itself adds to the size of the room. This helps prevent a compact bathroom from feeling claustrophobic.
- Simple appearance: If you have a lot of other decorations in the bathroom, a patterned shower curtain may be too much. Prevent overwhelming your senses with a clear glass shower door.
- Modern feel: For chic designer bathrooms, shower doors are almost always preferable for their contemporary lines and no-nonsense appearance.
- VOC-free: Some new vinyl shower curtains release potentially harmful volatile organic compounds (VOCs) into the air. To avoid this, read shower curtain labels and choose a PVC-free option. Better yet, avoid the worry altogether by choosing a chemical-free glass shower door that won’t hamper your indoor air quality.
Who Wins the Battle?
When it comes to choosing a shower enclosure, you have more choices today than ever. As we’ve compared walk-in showers with a curtain or a door, it’s obvious that one isn’t necessarily more high-end than the other. Either option can be luxurious and beautiful, as long as you choose quality products for your bathroom makeover.
Glass Shower Doors from Glass Doctor®
If you’re interested in the benefits of a glass shower door, turn to Glass Doctor. We design and install frameless glass shower and tub enclosures for bathrooms of all sizes and styles. Let us take a look at your bathroom so we can recommend a specific type of shower door, determine your ventilation requirements, and help you with the proper placement of shower fixtures.
Contact Glass Doctor today to set an appointment for frameless glass shower door design. Our professional glass design team is only a phone call away!