How to Repair Mirror Scratches | A Guide
A scratched mirror doesn't necessarily mean a ruined mirror. Though scratches are ugly, it is possible to restore your mirror's surface to its former condition. Here are some tips on how to repair your scratched mirror and advice on when to call in professional assistance.
Quick & Easy Home Remedies for Repairing a Scratched Mirror
A scratched mirror can affect the aesthetic appeal of a room. Though light scratches can be fixed with home remedies, larger scratches will lead to cracks and should be repaired immediately. Here are some common household repair methods:
- Rub the mirror with toothpaste. The abrasive ingredients in toothpaste can occasionally polish out scratches. Use traditional toothpaste instead of a gel.
- Apply a jewelry-polishing compound (cerium oxide). This ingredient is sometimes effective in restoring a mirror's shine. Mix it with water and apply it to the mirror.
- Try clear nail polish. Sometimes nail polish can cover deeper scratches. Add a layer, wipe away the excess and see if the scratch is less noticeable. If you can still see it, try another layer.
- Use a mustard/vinegar paste. If you've got dry mustard and white vinegar in your pantry, combine it and spread the paste mixture on the mirror.
While these home remedies can temporarily fix a scratch, they won't be able to repair major cracks. In this case, it's always a good idea to let a professional take a look at the damaged glass.
Removing Deep Scratches: When DIY Just Won't Do
Sometimes a mirror is damaged so badly that you won't be able to fix it yourself. When this happens, call in a professional to assess the situation. From mirror scratch repair to designing custom replacements, Glass Doctor® will make your home decor shine again.
Our glass experts can restore all types of mirrors and glass, including custom items. In the rare event that a repair can't be made, we'll help you customize the perfect replacement.
Why Glass Doctor?
With more than 40 years in business, Glass Doctor is the go-to source for mirror and glass repair services. We also offer:
- Upfront pricing, so you always know what you're paying for
- Fast, friendly service from uniformed professionals
- Free, in-home consultation with certified glass experts
- Scheduled appointment times that work around your schedule
Experience and knowledge makes Glass Doctor the answer for mirror scratch repair or any home glass project. From exterior windows and glass shower doors to custom shelves, tabletops, and mirrors, Glass Doctor has nearly five decades of experience repairing and replacing glass.
Schedule an Appointment with Glass Doctor
Call Glass Doctor at 855-603-1919 to repair your scratched mirror today.