Windshield Repair and Replacement
If your vehicle has a damaged windshield, you might be wondering if repair or replacement is necessary. Though Glass Doctor® of Goshen can repair most chipped windshields, cracks longer than three inches typically indicate the need for an immediate windshield replacement to protect the structural integrity of your vehicle and keep it safe for you and your passengers.
When deciding if your windshield should be repaired or replaced, the specialists at Glass Doctor of Goshen consider several factors.
- Size: There are some exceptions, but chips larger than 3/8 inch and cracks longer than three inches long usually require a windshield replacement.
- Location of Damage: If a crack has splintered to the edge of a windshield, replacement is typically required to prevent spread. Chips or cracks that interfere with your direct line of vision also require replacement.
- Timespan:The longer a chip or crack goes unaddressed, the more likely dirt and grime buildup will hinder a successful repair.
We work with most insurance carriers and will handle the claim for you. You should contact your local agent to verify coverage before having your windshield repaired or replaced.
Don’t let windshield damage threaten the safety of your family. Our specialists will handle all of your windshield repair and replacement needs.
Windshield repair offers a less expensive alternative and can stop chips and cracks from spreading. Glass Doctor of Goshen may recommend replacement over repair for these reasons:
- Convenience: Most windshield repairs can be completed within an hour.
- Price: Windshield repair provides a low-cost alternative to full windshield replacement.
- Insurance Advantages: Because of the economical advantage of repair vs. replacement, many insurance companies will waive deductibles to pay for your windshield repair.
- Environmental Responsibility: Repairing your windshield keeps old glass out of landfills.
Our team will prepare your windshield by removing debris from the area of impact and may use a drill to create a clean passageway for the repair resin. This resin is then injected into the damaged area using a special tool which attaches to the surface of the glass. The resin is cured and polished after injection to a clear finish.
Timely windshield replacement is essential to your safety. According to the Auto Glass Safety Council, a windshield makes up to 60% of the structural integrity in a rollover accident, although the percentage varies depending of the car's make and model. Glass Doctor performs a series of steps to ensure the proper replacement of your windshield.
- Your windshield is carefully removed in order to avoid damage to the paint and bonding surface, which can cause leaks and corrosion.
- A windshield which matches the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) quality will be selected for installation.
- Only adhesives approved by the AGSC are applied to vehicles during the windshield replacement process.
- New windshields are replaced using the recommended procedures of the AGSC. The recommended one hour drive-away time is observed for passenger safety.
- Our specialists review the G12® Windshield Road Hazard Guarantee, which allows for repair of chips and cracks, free of charge, when they happen within a 12 month period. If a windshield is damaged beyond repair, it will be replaced for free.
Contact us by calling 574-538-4079 or schedule an appointment online today!