Advanced Driver Assistance Systems Calibration in Pinellas County
Over the last decade, automakers have been adding Advanced Driver Assistance Systems, or ADAS, features to newer makes and models. These features may not be widely advertised, but ADAS adds important safety features to vehicles in order to protect drivers, passengers, and pedestrians. They include features that alert drivers of their surroundings, automate braking, add smartphone connectivity, and more.
If your vehicle has ADAS features, the forward-facing camera that controls these features must be calibrated after having your windshield replaced. The location of these features is often difficult to identify, but it includes a camera located on the windshield. When your windshield is replaced, this camera needs to be calibrated to ensure the sensors located on your vehicle are working properly. Not every mechanic or auto glass repair shop has the equipment and training to calibrate your ADAS. At Glass Doctor of Pinellas County, our auto glass specialists are equipped to repair or replace your windshield and make sure your ADAS camera is calibrated correctly.
ADAS Features in Your Car
Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) range from common-place features like a backup camera, to more high-tech features such as automated collision avoidance systems. These features utilize the camera and multiple sensors built into your vehicle. Some vehicle models also use 360-degree cameras. Below is a list of some of the ADAS technology commonly found in modern vehicles:
- Auto-on headlights
- Rain sensing wipers
- Adaptive cruise control
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Lane departure sensors
- Lane keep assist
- Collision avoidance systems
- Drowsy driver detection
- Intelligent speed adaptation, or intelligent speed advice (ISA)
- Pedestrian detection systems
- Rear collision warning
- Parking sensors/park assist
- Automated parking
Visit the Glass Doctor Blog for more information on specific ADAS features.
ADAS technology and capabilities is expected to continue to grow in the future, with many features already being mandated on new vehicles by the US and EU.
Why Does My ADAS System Need To Be Calibrated?
When your windshield is replaced, it’s vitally important that your ADAS camera is calibrated. Every millimeter counts in the proper function of features like lane keep assistance, adaptive cruise control, pedestrian detection, and more. If your front-facing camera is not calibrated, your systems may over-correct, under-correct, or fail to detect obstacles. Calibrating an ADAS camera requires specialized equipment and training, and the windshield replacement specialists at Glass Doctor of Pinellas County can get the job done right.
ADAS Calibration Process
ADAS calibration requires our trained specialists to follow industry standards and best practices to ensure an accurate result. The process typically takes 1-2 hours, and our mobile repair team can come to your home, business, or other location, for your convenience. The calibration process requires four steps:
- Pre-scan – The first step is to determine if the cameras and sensors are working properly. If they are damaged or malfunctioning, your vehicle will be sent to the dealer for repair.
- Replacement – If your windshield requires repair or replacement, our auto glass specialists will perform the necessary repairs or replace it with a windshield that meets the Auto Glass Replacement Safety Standard (AGRSS).
- Calibration – There are two types of calibration: dynamic and static. Dynamic calibration requires driving the vehicle, and static calibration uses a fixed target image at a specific distance in front of the vehicle. Your vehicle may require one or both processes depending upon year, make and model.
- Post-scan – The post-scan process is the final test to ensure the calibration is accurate and everything is working properly.
Schedule an ADAS Calibration with Glass Doctor of Pinellas County
Glass Doctor of Pinellas County proudly provides mobile windshield replacement services including ADAS calibration for St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Palm Harbor, and the surrounding areas. We can meet you in a location that is convenient for you, whether it’s your place of business or your home, to work within your busy lifestyle. Contact us at (727) 498-3877 or online to discuss your windshield replacement and ADAS calibration needs.