Your car has survived the drastic winter months and now with the arrival of spring, scorching summer weather is just around the corner. Follow these five simple steps to ensure your windshield is doing its best to protect you from the weather and anything that comes flying your way during your everyday commute.
- Dirt gradually builds up on your windshield, and overtime prevents you from seeing clearly, whether you realize it or not. Make an effort to clean your windshield every couple weeks – it only takes a few minutes. Use a dry microfiber cloth for the interior, glass cleaner and towel for the exterior, and add a bit of white vinegar to both sides to make them shine.
- Check your windshield wipers regularly to make sure they are in good condition. If not, this can result in scratches on your windshield.
- When cleaning, closely examine your windshield for cracks and proactively take care of them immediately. Even the slightest chip can turn into a gigantic crack over time and can lead you to needing your whole windshield replaced.
- Make sure you are actually following the directions posted on the bumpers of delivery trucks by staying 10 feet away in case of flying debris. As they say in driver’s education, it’s always smart to keep two car-lengths away from the person in front of you as a precaution.
- Parking inside a garage or underneath a carport is the smartest option to protect your windshield in case of extreme weather or an unexpected fallen tree.
In the unfortunate case you are in a wreck, your windshield is your No. 1 built-in defense mechanism inside your car, so you should always ensure that it’s in tip-top shape to prevent it from unnecessarily shattering.