Glass barn doors are one of the latest trends in interior design. Especially if homeowners have an interest in saving space, they’re a great choice. Considering glass barn doors for your home? While there are a lot of benefits, there are also potential downsides to consider before making your decision.
Below, we walk you through these considerations and provide you an overview of how sliding glass barn doors work and how to install them.
Despite common opinion, barn doors aren’t complicated. Basically, there’s an individual door, in this case made of glass, a barn door track, a piece of hardware on top of the barn door holding it in place, and a wheel or wheels allowing the doors to slide back and forth.
There are numerous benefits to select sliding glass bar doors for your home. These include:
- Space savings
- Additional natural light
- A modern or rustic aesthetic
- Serve as functional art
- Durable design
- Applicable to any room
Although glass barn doors provide many benefits, they are not perfect. Downsides to glass barn doors include:
- Not known for soundproofing properties
- Provide less privacy than other door types
- Can be loud as they slide across a track
- May be difficult to install in buildings with angled or low ceilings
Sliding barn doors can be all-glass or feature glass within a frame. Once you’ve settled on a glass barn door for your home and whether it will be all-glass or not, it’s time to decide on what glass you’d like to use.
There are a few different styles to choose from:
- Textured glass: Textured glass has a design etched fully into the material. The textured glass category includes treatments like glue chip, rain, clear beveled and large leaf.
- Decorative glass: Decorative glass has a surface design rather than a design etched fully into the glass. Frosted glass falls into this category.
- Tinted or colored glass: Tinted glass can offer an additional layer of privacy to your barn door.
Glass Doctor is here to help you customize the glass in your glass barn door. Meet with one of our local technicians to help realize your glass barn door dreams.
Trust Glass Doctor® with all your glass needs. We are fully equipped to customize, repair and replace the glass in your homes glass barn doors. install and repair any glass sliding barn door you wish to have professionally installed. Don’t wait to realize your barn door dreams. Request an appointment online or call (833) 365-2927 to discuss your barn door glass needs, today.
Keep the exterior of your home - doors, windows and mats, clean with these tips from Molly Maid. Like Glass Doctor, Molly Maid is a member of the Neighborly® family of trusted home service professionals.