Glass Doctor of Beaumont, CA can repair most chipped windshields. Cracks longer than three inches generally require an immediate need for windshield replacement to retain the structural integrity of your vehicle and the safety of its occupants.
How to Repair Your Windshield
Determine if the windshield can be repaired using these indicators:
Size: Though there are a few exceptions, chips larger than 3/8-inch, chips that can’t be covered by a half dollar, or cracks more than three inches long generally require windshield replacement.
Location: Chips or cracks that are located in your line of vision or spread to the edge of the windshield require replacement. It’s important to note that some completed repairs often are not invisible, and in some cases, a slight outline of the repair area may remain visible.
Time: The longer you leave chips and cracks unaddressed, the more likely dirt will build up making it difficult to perform a successful repair, resulting in windshield replacement being necessary.
ADAS: If you have Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) and the chip is located in front of a camera or sensor, the windshield must be replaced and the ADAS camera must be calibrated.
When repairing your windshield our auto-glass experts will execute the following steps:
- If your windshield can be repaired, our specialists remove dirt and debris from the damaged windshield.
- To repair your windshield, a special chemically-based resin designed to bond to the windshield is injected into the damaged area using a stone chip repair system attached to the surface of the glass.
- After injection, the resin is cured by means of special UV light within a predetermined range of light.
- Excess resin is removed in a manner that prevents further damage.
- Your windshield is then polished to a clear finish.
Glass Doctor recommends windshield repair over replacement due to the following factors:
- Convenience: Glass Doctor of Beaumont, CA specialists typically complete windshield repairs within an hour.
- Price: Windshield repair is far less expensive than replacing the whole windshield.
- Insurance Advantages: Because windshield repair is less expensive, many insurance companies will waive your deductible and pay for the repair and sometimes event replacement. It is best to check your insurance policy or call your agent.
- Environmental Responsibility: Repairing your windshield keeps your old glass out of a landfill, where it would stay forever.
In the event of a serious chip or crack, timely windshield replacement is essential to your safety. According to the Auto Glass Safety Council™ (AGSC), a windshield provides up to 60 percent of the structural integrity in a rollover accident depending on the car's make and model.
How to Replace Your Windshield
- To avoid damage to the paint and bonding surface, a professional will carefully remove your windshield. This will prevent leaks and corrosion.
- A windshield meeting the Auto Glass Replacement Safety Standard (AGRSS) is selected for installation.
- The new windshield is installed following procedures recommended by the AGSC. The recommended one-hour, drive-away time for passenger safety is then observed, allowing the adhesive to cure for safe drive-away time.
- Upon completion of a job, a Glass Doctor technician will review the Windshield Protection Plan, which states if your new windshield is damaged within 12 months, we will repair chips and cracks free of charge. If the windshield is broken beyond repair, Glass Doctor will replace the glass for free.
Don’t let a crack in your windshield threaten the safety of your family. Schedule an appointment with Glass Doctor of Beaumont, CA today! Our auto glass specialists have the skills and experience necessary to determine your windshield replacement and repair needs.