Advanced Driver Assistance Systems Calibration in Sarasota, FL
If you have a newer car, chances are it has Advanced Driver Assistance Systems, or ADAS, features. Some of these features are more noticeable than others, but all ADAS features are important safety systems to help protect drivers, passengers, and pedestrians. ADAS includes features that alert the driver of their surroundings, add smartphone connectivity so you can stay focused on the road, help avoid collisions by braking automatically, and more.
One of the main components of your vehicle’s ADAS features is the forward-facing camera, which is typically located behind the windshield. After having your windshield replaced, this camera must be calibrated to ensure the camera and other sensors are working properly. Calibrating this camera requires special training and equipment, and not every auto glass repair shop can calibrate ADAS. Our specialists at Glass Doctor of Sarasota are equipped to repair or replace your windshield and properly calibrate your ADAS systems.
ADAS Features in Your Car
Modern cars can have a wide range of Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) features, from more common-place ones like a backup camera to more high-tech features like automated parking. The camera and multiple sensors built into your vehicle are what makes these systems work. Some vehicles even feature a 360-degree camera to see in all directions. ADAS features commonly found in modern vehicles include:
- Auto-on headlights
- Rain sensing wipers
- Adaptive cruise control
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Lane departure sensors
- Lane keep assist
- Collision avoidance systems
- Drowsy driver detection
- Intelligent speed adaptation, or intelligent speed advice (ISA)
- Pedestrian detection systems
- Rear collision warning
- Parking sensors/park assist
- Automated parking
Visit the Glass Doctor Blog for more information on specific ADAS features.
ADAS technology and capabilities are expected to continue to grow in the future, with many features already being mandated on new vehicles by the US and EU.
Why Does My ADAS System Need To Be Calibrated?
Having your ADAS camera properly calibrated is vitally important after having your windshield replaced. For your safety features lane keep assist, adaptive cruise control, and pedestrian detection to work properly, the camera must be precise down to the millimeter. If it’s not calibrated correctly, your systems may over or under-correct, or fail to detect obstacles in time. The windshield replacement specialists at Glass Doctor of Sarasota use specialized equipment and training to make sure the job is done right.
ADAS Calibration Process
ADAS calibration requires our trained specialists to follow industry standards and best practices to ensure an accurate result. The process typically takes 1-2 hours, and our mobile repair team can come to your home, business, or other location, for your convenience. The calibration process requires four steps:
- Pre-scan – The first step is to determine if the cameras and sensors are working properly. If they are damaged or malfunctioning, your vehicle will be sent to the dealer for repair.
- Replacement – If your windshield requires repair or replacement, our auto glass specialists will perform the necessary repairs or replace it with a windshield that meets the Auto Glass Replacement Safety Standard (AGRSS).
- Calibration – There are two types of calibration: dynamic and static. Dynamic calibration requires driving the vehicle, and static calibration uses a fixed target image at a specific distance in front of the vehicle. Your vehicle may require one or both processes depending upon year, make and model.
- Post-scan – The post-scan process is the final test to ensure the calibration is accurate and everything is working properly.
Schedule an ADAS Calibration with Glass Doctor of Sarasota
Glass Doctor of Sarasota can come to you to repair and replace your auto glass in Sarasota and Manatee Counties and the surrounding areas. Our mobile windshield repair and replacement services include ADAS calibration. We can come to your home, office, or other location to work within your busy lifestyle. To discuss your windshield replacement and ADAS calibration needs, contact us today online or call us at (941) 747-3919.