Windshield Repair and Replacement
Although the tiny crack or chip in your windshield may seem insignificant, it can have major implications. According to the Auto Glass Safety Council™ (AGSC), your windshield can represent up to 60% of your vehicle's cabin support in a rollover accident. Instead of taking a chance on your safety, trust the experienced experts at Glass Doctor® of Sarasota for clear and safe windshield repair and windshield replacement solutions.
Windshield Repair Versus Windshield Replacement
In determining whether to replace or repair the windshield, the auto glass specialists at Glass Doctor of Sarasota, FL, considers several factors, including:
When the crack or chip has splintered to the edge of your windshield, it will generally need to be replaced because the crack will continue to spread. If the crack or chip is directly in your line of sight, it will also need to be replaced because it will not be fully clear after a repair and could easily hinder your sight.
It's important to contact Glass Doctor of Sarasota, FL, as soon as you notice any type of damage to your windshield. Although the crack may be tiny at first, over time dirt builds and causes the crack to spread, which makes it more difficult to perform an effective repair.
While there are exceptions to every rule, most chips larger than 3/8 inch and cracks larger than three inches will require windshield replacement.
At Glass Doctor of Sarasota, we simplify windshield repair. We have working agreements with all of the major insurance carriers and take all of the hassle out of windshield care. Best of all, we handle all of the claim paperwork for you. However, we suggest you speak to your carrier and verify coverage before we perform any windshield repair or a windshield replacement.
As the preferred method for stopping cracks and chips from spreading, we always try to perform windshield repair first for the following reasons:
- Cost: Repairing your windshield is much cheaper than replacing it.
- Simplicity: Our specialists generally perform windshield repairs in less than an hour.
- Environmental reasons: Windshield repair prevents non-biodegradable glass from being stored in landfills, where it will stay forever.
- Insurance: The majority of insurance companies waives deductibles and simply pays for the repairs because of the significant economic advantages.
The process of performing windshield repair starts with clearing all of the debris from the area. In some cases, our specialists use a drill to create a fresh passageway for the resin. Then, the resin is injected in the damaged area with a special tool that ensures a perfect fill. Finally, the resin is cured and polished to a transparent finish.
Time is of the essence when it comes to windshield replacement. As a result, our experts use the following AGSC procedure to replace your windshields as quickly as possible:
- Meticulously remove the windshield without damaging the bonding surface and paint to prevent corrosion and leaks.
- Carefully match the windshield with a replacement pane similar to the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) quality.
- Replace the new windshield based on AGSC recommended procedures with AGSC approved adhesives.
- Ensure the one hour drive-away time is observed to allow the adhesive to cure
Before you drive away, our specialists explain the Windshield Protection Plan which covers your new windshield for 12 months after installation.
For the most comprehensive and effective auto glass windshield repair and window replacement solutions, contact Glass Doctor of Sarasota, FL, today.