A damage-free windshield is essential to driving safety. If your windshield is chipped or cracked, rely on Glass Doctor® of La Cantera. Our service professionals repair many cracks and chips without replacing your vehicle’s glass.
Windshield Repair or Replacement
To decide if windshield repair is possible or if replacement is required for safety, Glass Doctor of La Cantera considers:
- Damaged dimensions: Windshield cracks over three inches in length and chips larger than 3/8 an inch indicate the need for windshield replacement.
- Functional issues:Windshield cracks at the edge of the glass tend to spread, making a full replacement necessary. Similarly, if the crack or chip is located within the driver’s line of vision, a replacement is also necessary.
- Age: How long the windshield damage has existed is important. After a while, debris accumulates in the damaged area, so a clean and clear repair may not be possible.
Windshield Repair Advantages
Windshield repairs are our preferred solution to windshield damage. We recommend repair over replacement when safe to do so because:
- Highly convenient: Glass Doctor of La Cantera often completes windshield repairs in less than hour.
- Low cost: Windshield repair has a lower price tag than replacement.
- Better insurance coverage: Insurance companies save money with repair, so sometimes the company waives the deductible and windshield repair may cost you nothing.
Glass Doctor of La Cantera cleans any dirt from the chipped area or windshield crack, then drills a smooth fill area for the injection of special windshield repair resin. After the resin cures, we polish the area for clarity.
Windshield Replacement Process
If your windshield requires replacement, Glass Doctor of La Cantera follows Auto Glass Safety Council™ (AGSC) prescribed steps:
- We carefully remove the cracked windshield to prevent damaged paint or bonding and potential rust.
- Using a new windshield that meets the Auto Glass Replacement Safety Standards (AGRSS), we apply AGSC approved adhesives and place the windshield properly.
- The adhesive cures; after the dry time elapses your vehicle is ready to drive.
- Before you leave, we’ll go over our Windshield Protection Plan®, which covers you should the new windshield become damaged within 12 months. If that happens, Glass Doctor of La Cantera will fix the windshield for free. If repair is impossible, we'll replace the pane.
The convenient and efficient way to deal with the windshield damage is clear! Call us at (210) 942-4242 or schedule an appointment with Glass Doctor of La Cantera for quality, full-service windshield repair and replacement.