Windshield Repair and Replacement
The smallest impacts are more than just blemishes; they may compromise the safety of your vehicle. Glass Doctor® of Elkhart urges you to schedule repair services with a glass specialist as soon as you notice an imperfection in your windshield. Most repairs take 60 minutes or less and we will gladly work around your schedule.
Benefits of a Windshield Repair
At Glass Doctor of Elkhart, we'll always repair your windshield when it’s a safe option because:
- Money savings: Windshield repairs cost less than replacements.
- Customer convenience: Glass specialists complete the repair on the best date and time for you.
- Restored safety: Under the right conditions, windshield repairs restore the structural integrity of your vehicle as well as replacements.
- Eco-friendliness: Windshields are difficult to recycle, so they end up in landfills. Repairs reduce waste and the demand for natural resources.
- Insurance benefits: Talk to your auto insurance agent to learn if your policy covers windshield repairs. If it does, we’ll file the claim for you.
Windshield Repair Steps
- A glass specialist from Glass Doctor of Elkhart cleans the impacted area. Depending on the crack or chip, the specialist may need to drill a small passageway in the glass for the resin to enter.
- The glass specialist injects auto glass resin into the impacted area using a special tool.
- The resin cures.
- The glass specialist polishes the resin for a crystal clear finish.
Windshield Repair versus Windshield Replacement
While our glass specialists follow a repair-first policy, there are times when a replacement is the safest option because of factors such as:
- Auto glass type: We always replace windshields made of tempered glass.
- Impact size: Replacements are best when chips are larger than 3/8 inch and cracks are longer than 3 inches.
- Age: Older impacts accumulate dirt and grime, making them difficult to repair successfully.
- Location: Windshield cracks that splinter around the edge of the glass require a replacement because the crack may spread. We also replace windshields when impacts are in your line of sight.
Expert tip: When it’s cold outside, prevent a crack or chip from growing larger by not using the defrost setting in your vehicle.
Along with airbags and seatbelts, windshields make up part of your vehicle’s safety restraint system. Its main role is to keep you inside the vehicle in the event of a collision. According to the Auto Glass Safety Council™ (AGSC), windshields that are in good shape account for up to 45% of a vehicle cabin’s structural integrity in a front-end collision, and 65% in a rollover accident. When the windshield has an impact and the vehicle is involved in a collision, airbags may not deploy properly and the auto glass may not ensure the safety of passengers.
When you receive a windshield replacement, a specialist from Glass Doctor of Elkhart takes the following steps:
- Remove the windshield. Glass Doctor of Elkhart follows AGSC standards to protect your vehicle’s paint and bonding surface.
- Install a new windshield that matches the original equipment manufacturer’s (OEM) quality using AGSC-approved adhesives and installation techniques.
- Allow the adhesive to cure for one hour.
G12 Road Hazard® Guarantee
When Glass Doctor of Elkhart replaces your windshield, we back it with the G12® Windshield Road Hazard Guarantee. If normal road hazards damage the new glass within 12 months of the installation date, we’ll repair or replace it free of charge. Exclusions apply.
Contact Glass Doctor of Elkhart today to schedule a windshield repair or replacement service.