How to Remove Tempered Glass
Tempered glass is a type of safety glass that is made by quickly heating and cooling a piece of annealed glass, uniformly. Tempered glass is designed to protect you from injury. When tempered glass breaks, it shatters into dull cubes as opposed to shards.
Tempered glass is commonly used for phone screens, shower doors, glass tabletops, glass shelves, car side windows, rear windshields and more.
Why Would I Need to Remove Tempered Glass?
If tempered glass shatters, don’t panic – but also, don’t touch it. Broken tempered glass may not fall off your phone screen or out of a window initially, but it will be significantly weaker and so needs to be handled with care.
Follow these tips to remove tempered glass, safely:
How to Remove Tempered Glass Screen Protectors
If your tempered glass phone or tablet screen protector shatters, don’t panic!
If you need to remove a tempered glass screen protector from your smartphone, turn off your phone first and then try some of these suggestions:
- Turn off the phone or tablet.
- Use a toothpick to create a gap between the tempered glass protector and the screen. The goal is to lift the screen protector up from each corner.
- When you can, fit a credit card into the gap, keeping the strain on the protector while you slowly pull up to remove it. If this does not work, attach a small piece of duct tape to the protector and slowly peel the protector up off the screen.
- Once the protector is off, use a microfiber cloth to wipe the screen clean.
- If you’re having a hard time getting the protector off easily, you can soften the screen with a hair dryer. Just be careful not to overheat your phone.
How to Remove Tempered Glass From Home Objects
For a variety of reasons, tempered glass doors may shatter without falling to the ground.
To safely remove an insulated tempered glass door that has broken, follow these instructions:
- Unscrew the flashing or plates that attach the tempered glass panel to the door.
- Slowly peel off the tempered glass panel.
- On the side of the shattered glass, place a towel or sheet on the ground.
- Scrape the glass off, but be extremely careful, as the glass will fall.
Call Glass Doctor to Remove Tempered Glass at Your Home
Finding a skilled, professional glass company is crucial when you have broken or shattered glass at home.
The specialists at Glass Doctor specialize in home glass solutions – including tempered glass solutions – which means we will install, remove, repair or replace tempered glass tabletops, car windows, home windows, doors and other applications.
Instead of risking injury, leave the tempered glass removal – and repair and replacement – to the professionals.