How to Fix a Broken Window Glass Pane the Right Way
Window Pane Repair
If you own a home, chances are good that someday you’ll have to deal with a broken window pane. Whether hit by a rogue ball or stray branch, even high-quality windows are susceptible to cracking or breaking.
Repairing a broken window pane requires replacing the broken glass. At Glass Doctor®, we specialize in home window services that leave your windows looking like new – because they are.
Read on to learn how to fix a broken window pane and why we recommend professional window pane replacement.
Need glass repair now? Call 833-974-0209 for 24/7 emergency service.
How to Fix a Broken Window Pane
Window pane repair is not a simple DIY task. It requires skills with tools, specialized materials, and a fair bit of patience. Should you choose to attempt to engage in DIY window pane repair, you’ll need:
- Safety glass
- Leather work gloves
- Glazing putty
- Tape measure
- Glass cutter (or have glass cut professionally at a store)
- Glazier’s points
How to Fix a Broken Window Pane: Step-by-Step
- Remove the window with the offending glass from the window frame.
- Place the window on saw horses or a table and remove the glaze and glaziers’ points from the frame using a chisel.
- Measure and cut replacement glass to size (or remove pre-cut glass from protective packaging).
- Cut glass to size (if not pre-cut).
- Roll glazing putty into thin rolls and push into empty frame L-channel (the channel the glass will sit into).
- Place the glass into the frame.
- Add glaziers’ points around the glass in the frame.
- Push additional glazing into the L-channel around the glass.
- Allow the glazing putty to dry.
- Re-install the window into the frame.
As you can see, replacing a broken window pane clearly requires significant skill and effort. Window pane repair is a project best left to the professionals. You don’t have to deal with broken glass or gathering tools and materials if you leave window pane repair up to Glass Doctor.
Dangers of Dealing with Broken Glass
Depending on the type of glass, you and your family may be at risk of getting seriously hurt from your broken window. If you’re handling broken glass on your own, you may not be able to see the tiny shards of sharp glass surrounding the window. That’s why it’s important to call a certified professional like Glass Doctor to clean and secure this exposed area of your home.
Glass Doctor Window Pane Repair
Many homeowners may try to fix a broken window pane on their own, but they often end up seeking professional help.
At Glass Doctor, we also know that a broken glass pane doesn’t always mean that your whole window is broken. Instead, we fix issues at the root of the problem, so you don’t have to spend money on anything more than you need to.
We also aim to fix the broken window pane within a single visit. However, should we need to order custom-sized glass or parts, we’ll board-up the exposed part of your home and thoroughly clean the area of broken glass. As soon as we receive your special part, our specialists will return to install your pane according to industry standards and to your satisfaction.
Choose Glass Doctor for Professional Window Pane Repair
At Glass Doctor, we fix your panes!® We strive to complete window and glass restoration, repairs and maintenance projects to the satisfaction of our customers.