Windshield Repair and Replacement
A vehicle with a damaged windshield needs either repair or replacement service to restore the car's stability and maximize safety. The specialists at Glass Doctor® of Raleigh know when windshield damage can be repaired and when replacement is necessary.
Windshield Care in Raleigh
Windshield chip repair can usually fix cracks on a windshield less than three inches long. However, Glass Doctor of Raleigh specialists will usually consider replacement to be the only safe option for larger cracks. The length of the crack is not the only factor that needs to be considered. Our specialists assess all aspects of damage to determine the best course of action. The three most important factors our car glass specialist will consider are:
- The size of the crack: The size of the damaged area on the windshield is a primary consideration. Repair is generally sufficient for chips under 3/8 inch long. Cracks less than three inches long can often be repaired.
- Where the crack is located: Cracks on the windshield that are located along the edges will be likely to spread over time. This makes replacement a better fix. Also, both chips and cracks that obstruct a driver's vision pose a safety hazard and typically require replacement.
- How long the crack has been there: If you neglect windshield repair, cracks and chips may become worse as dirt or other debris builds up inside them and causes more visibility and structural problems. The cleanliness of the damage plays a role in the service determination.
Bring your vehicle in to Glass Doctor of Raleigh and your insurance will likely be able to cover windshield chip repair and windshield replacement. Of course, it's always a good idea to check with your agent about coverage before bringing your vehicle in for service.
Windshield cracks are a serious problem that must be attended to immediately. Don't underestimate the severity of safety hazards caused by windshield damage.
The least expensive way to correct a damaged windshield is repair services, which in addition to being budget friendly takes approximately 30 minutes. In most cases, Glass Doctor of Raleigh advises drivers to opt for a windshields repaired service when appropriate because of the many benefits.
- Cost savings: It's inevitably more affordable to have a windshield repaired than it is to have it replaced. Replacement requires more materials and labor, and these factors bring about higher expenses.
- Ease: Specialists at Glass Doctor of Raleigh complete almost every windshield chip repair service in under an hour at a location of your choice.
- Insurance: Insurance companies often prefer repair because it costs less, and they will sometimes waive a deductible if repair services can do the job.
- Sustainability: Windshields that are replaced need to be thrown away, and they'll end up in a landfill. Repair reuses the original material decreasing glass waste.
Many drivers aren't aware of the role windshield play in the safety features of a car, but they ensure airbags deploy correctly and support the cabin structure. The windshield is responsible for around 60% of a vehicle's structural integrity in the event of a rollover accident. If a windshield must be replaced to restore the car's safety features, we will work to complete the job in a timely fashion with great attention to detail. After we complete the replacement following procedures set forth by the Auto Glass Safety Council™ (AGSC), a team member will discuss the guarantee we include with every replacement service. Our goal is to keep your new windshield in perfect repair for a full year after the initial installation.
Learn more about the windshield chip repair services and replacement option Glass Doctor of Raleigh offers. Contact us today!