Windshield Repair and Replacement
When windshields suffer damage, the panes need to be repaired or replaced to make them completely road worthy once again. Cracks and chips in a windshield can cause structural weakness and detract from visibility. This type of damage should be repaired immediately to keep everyone safe on the road.
Factors of Windshield Repair
Bring your vehicle into Glass Doctor® of Charlottesville VA, and windshield crack repair specialists will determine whether your windshield needs repair or replacement based on the following:
- Size of damage: Small chips and cracks can generally be repaired. However, a chip that is more than 3/8 inch long or a crack that extends more than three inches usually indicates the damage requires windshield replacement.
- Location of damage: Any windshield cracks located close to the windshield edge have a tendency to spread. This makes it best to replace the windshield if such cracks are present. Also, replacement is usually recommended if cracks are found in the driver's line of vision because they create a safety hazard by reducing visibility.
- Time duration since damage: Cracks and chips left to worsen often become severe problems. The damage accumulates dirt and debris, which makes cracks of chips expand. The amount of time that has passed between when the damage occurred and when the vehicle was brought in for service is typically factored in to the repair or replacement decision.
When you have a damaged windshield, handled by our team, you don't have to worry about submitting any paperwork to your insurance provider. Specialists will take care of filing a claim and communicating with your insurance company. However, it's a good idea to contact your insurance company before your first visit at Glass Doctor of Charlottesville, VA, to verify your insurance provider will cover the costs.
In terms of cost, windshield crack repair is generally more affordable than replacement. Specialists at Glass Doctor of Charlottesville, VA, always try to handle damage with repairs rather than replacement for the following reasons:
- Ease: Windshield repairs carried out by our specialists can be completed in less than an hour.
- Costs: Replacing an entire windshield is usually much more expensive than simply repairing the windshield.
- Coverage: Because windshield crack repair is typically cheaper, insurance companies will often cover all of the costs.
- Green: Windshield crack repair allows the original windshield to continue to be used so that it doesn't have to be disposed of in a landfill.
Statistics from the Auto Glass Safety Council™ (AGSC) show how important an intact windshield is to overall car safety. A windshield represents 60% of the structural integrity of the vehicle when a rollover accident occurs. Glass Doctor of Charlottesville VA, ensures the replacement service reestablishes the windshield. Our procedure includes:
- Proper removal of old windshield
- The use of an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) replacement windshield
- Applying adhesives approved by the AGSC
Every windshield replacement follows the AGSC recommended replacement procedures, including a one hour drive-away time to make sure that adhesive cures sufficiently. All our windshields are protected with the G12® Road Hazard Guarantee plan, although drivers have the option to upgrade to more coverage.
Learn more about windshield repair and replacement services by contacting our team today!