Double Pane Windows
Weather and other natural elements can significantly damage a home's windows. Fluctuations of hot and cold, wet and dry wear down windows. Windows are the number one source of temperature exchange for any building. Anytime a seal on a double pane window expires or is improperly installed, it will leak climate controlled air, and cause drafts within your home. Even if your windows are perfectly installed, eventually they will wear out and need to be replaced. There are signs that let you know when a window seal is failing - you may feel a draft or notice fogging of your windows.
At Glass Doctor® of Charlotte, our glass specialists will replace your windows with insulated glass units (IGUs). IGUs serve to balance and regulate your interior climate.
Benefits of Insulated Glass and Double Pane Windows
Year-round, insulated glass does the best job of keeping your home sealed. In the winter, it prevents cool air from seeping in, while in summer it blocks the heat. The result is more consistent temperatures within your home which help your heating and cooling units run more efficiently. Efficient windows save homeowners money and ensure their comfort.
How Insulate Glass Units Work
There are five components of IGUs. Each performs a specific function:
- Glass Panes: Two panes of glass to block outside temperatures.
- Spacer: The spacer performs a critical part in the IGU. It separates the panes of glass and can be filled with a moisture absorbing material (desiccant) or a warm edge spacer technology. The spacer is there to enhance thermal performance.
- Air Space: The combination of the panes and spacer create the air space. Air spaces can be filled with argon or krypton gas for additional insulation.
- Desiccant: A hygroscopic substance used for moisture absorbance.
- Seal: A sealant is used around the entire perimeter to block moisture from getting into the space between the two panes.
Replacing Your Insulated Glass
Glass Doctor of Charlotte will replace your insulated glass while still using your frames. This reduces costs, making it more affordable. The easiest way to find out if this is a possibility for you is to contact our glass specialists by scheduling an appointment online or calling 704-815-5692. We offer extensive knowledge and experience in the replacement and installation of insulated glass. Check out our special offers to save on your service!