Double Pane Windows
When the winters are chilly and the summers are smoldering, your windows are largely responsible for keeping the temperatures inside your home comfortable throughout the year. If you have standard windows or need a double pane window repair, the glass panes likely allow the air in your home to escape, causing your power bills to increase. Glass Doctor® of Ashland installs insulated glass units (IGUs) that makes homes more energy efficient as they reduce energy transfers.
Double Pane Windows
The double pane windows at Glass Doctor of Ashland are IGUs that have two panes of glass on either side of a moisture-absorbing desiccant spacer. A double pane window’s main purpose is to reduce energy transfers. During the winter, the panes of glass prevent the warm air in your home from escaping. In the summer, the panes trap warm air so it doesn’t your heat home.
Depending on your budget and energy needs, glass specialists may fill the space between the glass with argon or krypton, nontoxic gases that give windows added insulation. Glass specialists also use a high-quality sealant on the IGUs to prevent air leaks and moisture intrusions.
Homeowners often need a double pane window repair if the window seal breaks because it will lead to moisture damage and energy losses. You can tell when a window seal breaks because fog or drops of water form between the two panes of glass. Reasons for loose window seals include:
- Old age
- Poor installation techniques
- The sealant was of low quality
- Extreme temperatures
Benefits of Double Pane Windows
- Energy savings: The National Resource Defense Council reports that doors and windows cause up to 30% of the energy losses in a home. A simple way to tell if your windows cause energy losses is to observe how a room feels when it’s cold outside or the sun shines through the window. If your home has conditioned air and you feel a draft when you sit next to a window, you’re experiencing energy losses. Similarly, if the sun shining through a window causes a room to feel warmer, your HVAC system has to work harder to maintain cool temperatures. Because double pane windows reduce air leaks and energy transfers, your HVAC system doesn’t have to work as hard to keep your home comfortable.
- More peace and quiet: In addition to blocking out uncomfortable temperatures, double pane windows block out more outside noise than standard windows. This is a particularly attractive feature to those who have noisy neighbors or live near heavy street traffic.
- Protect your belongings: Natural light is great, but fades your belongings with time. Double pane windows block harmful UV rays, so your drapes, carpeting, furniture, photos, books and other belongings stay looking great.
Double Pane Window Repair and Replacement
The experts at Glass Doctor of Ashland specialize in double pane window repair and replacement. We use the latest techniques to replace the broken glass and seal within an IGU’s existing frame. Our double pane window repair methods restore the IGU’s energy-saving features, lower the cost of the repair and save you from the hassle of buying a new window.
To learn more about the benefits of IGUs and high-efficiency windows, or to schedule a double pane window repair, contact Glass Doctor of Ashland to schedule a complimentary consultation.