When a windshield has been damaged, car owners always wonder whether a repair a replacement is the right option. At Glass Doctor® of Tucson we understand the variables that affect that answer. Our specialists are trained in repairing chipped windshields and replacing those with extensive damage. Cracks usually indicate the windshield needs to be replaced right away to avoid compromising the structural integrity of your vehicle and to keep occupants safe. Windshield repair should also be done in a timely fashion, to avoid the damage from spreading and to keep visibility at full capacity.
To help determine which option is best for you, Glass Doctor of Tucson considers the type of damage, its location and the time your windshield has been damaged.
- Extent of Damage: Generally chips bigger than 3/8-inch wide, or cracks that are longer than three inches require a replacement.
- Location of Damage: Cracks that are close to your windshield's edge require a replacement because they have a tendency to spread. Chips that are in your line of vision will also likely require a replacement because repairs sometimes don't cure completely clear and may reduce visibility.
- Time: Leaving cracks and chips unaddressed causes dirt to build up and damage to spread. This makes it more difficult to perform a successful windshield repair, and a replacement becomes more likely. The longer you leave the damage unaddressed, the more likely you will need a replacement rather than a simple repair.
Glass Doctor of Tucson will happily take care of the insurance filing for you, and works with most insurance companies. We recommend that you check with your local agent to verify your coverage before having any repairs or replacement work.
This is a more cost-effective alternative to a replacement. A windshield repair stops cracks and chips from growing. If left to grow, the damage may compromise the structural integrity of the vehicle. Glass Doctor of Tucson typically recommends a windshield repair over a replacement, for the following reasons:
- Saves Time: This is a convenient option. Our mobile team performs repairs on-site in under an hour.
- Less Expensive: Repairs are much easier on your budget than a complete replacement.
- Insurance Benefits: Many insurance companies waive the deductible if you are having a repair done, giving you a pristine windshield at no cost.
- Reduced Carbon Footprint: Windshields are built with a plastic layer laminated between two panes of glass, making it difficult to recycle. Repairing your windshield will save it from ending up in the trash.
- Safety: Keeping the original factory elements intact means greater safety for you and your occupants.
Your windshield accounts for up to 60% of structural integrity in the event of a rollover accident, according to the Auto Glass Safety Council (AGSC®). Glass Doctor of Tucson replaces a windshield using only AGSC-approved materials. The windshield is removed and replaced following procedures set out by the AGSC. The final step of every windshield replacement is explaining our G12® Windshield Guarantee. We stand behind our work with a 12-month guarantee. If your new windshield is damaged within a year's time, we will repair or replace the glass at no charge.
Don't let windshield damage threaten you or your family's safety. Contact Glass Doctor of Tucson today and let one of our specialists help you determine whether a replacement or a repair is your best option.