When your car suffers windshield damage, you need to have repairs taken care of right away so your vehicle is road worthy once again. Allow Glass Doctor® of Toledo, OH to restore your auto glass. We walk drivers through the process of damage assessment and repair options.
In general, chips and cracks shorter than three inches can be repaired. If a crack extends more than three inches, a new windshield is usually needed to ensure the integrity of the vehicle.
When Glass Doctor is handling a window repair job, the following three factors are considered in determining whether repair or replacement is the way to go.
- Size: The size of the damage is the easiest determinate. A windshield with a chip more than 3/8 inch long or a crack measuring more than three inches in length typically needs to be replaced.
- Location: Cracks located in the driver's line of vision can pose safety hazards that may require replacement. Also, cracks found along the windshield's edge will be more likely to spread and expand. This makes replacement necessary in many cases.
- Timespan: The sooner chips and cracks are repaired, the better. Over time, dirt and debris work their way into fissures in the windshield. This causes more damage and complicates the repair process. If damage occurred a while ago, replacement is more likely to be necessary.
Glass Doctor works with all major insurance carriers, handling the insurance filing for you. It is advisable to contact your local agent to verify coverage before having your windshield repaired or replaced.
Windshield repair is typically less expensive than replacement, which is why many drivers prefer it. There are quite a few advantages to repair, including convenience and affordability. Also, insurance companies generally prefer repair because it is less expensive. Insurance companies will sometimes be willing to waive the policyholder's deductible if repair is chosen over replacement.
Glass Doctor recommends repair over replacement because:
- Convenience: Glass Doctor specialists typically perform windshield repairs within an hour.
- Insurance Advantages: Because of the economic advantages of repair vs. replacement, many insurance companies will waive your deductible and pay for the windshield repair.
- Environmentally Responsible: Repairing your windshield keeps your old glass out of a landfill, where it will stay forever.
When Glass Doctor of Toledo, OH performs a windshield repair service, debris is first removed from any chips or cracks. It's sometimes necessary for specialists to use a drill to get the job done. A drill is used to create a clean passageway for the resin to form a clear seal. This resin will quickly dry, and the pane is polished to create a clear appearance.
The structural integrity of a vehicle's windshield is a key safety feature for the driver and passengers. In fact, the Auto Glass Safety Council™ (AGSC) has stated that they can account for 60% of the cabin support in the event of a rollover accident.
When Glass Doctor performs a replacement, glass matching the original equipment manufacturer is located. Then, adhesives approved by the AGSC are applied to firmly attach the new component. AGSC procedures are followed by Glass Doctor of Toledo, OH during all replacements, and after replacement, the adhesive is given an hour to properly cure.
The inclusion of the Windshield Protection Plan with every replacement ensures customers will enjoy their replacement for at least 12 months. If there is any damage to the new unit, Glass Doctor of Toledo, OH performs unlimited repair services 12 months following installation. A single replacement service is also included in the guarantee plan.
Specialists at Glass Doctor are standing by to address your concerns and to provide you with the information you need. Contact us to schedule your appointment!