Six Types of Window Glass
The climate control needs of different structures depend on their location, construction materials and their orientation to the sun. Homeowners and builders typically have six types of window glass to choose from. A glass expert will determine the choice that is best for your home or business.
Glazing Considerations for Climate Control
The top priority in comparing types of window glass is their ability to save on energy costs, along with their strength and durability. Understanding three basic characteristics of window glass will help you decide the type that is best for your home or business.
Consider the following:
- The amount of natural light transmitted by the glass
- The solar heat gain allowed by the glass
- The thermal conductivity of the glass
Other considerations include the position of the window in relation to the sun, the local climate, building design and the structure of the window.
Six Different Types of Window Glass
You have six choices of window glass, each with different abilities to control the indoor climate and brightness.
- Insulated glass units are windows with two or more panes separated by a spacer and hermetically sealed. The space between panes if filled with air to help insulate the window.
- Gas fills are insulated glass units that are filled with gas—usually krypton or argon—that offers more insulation than pure air.
- Heat-absorbing tints absorb a large portion of incoming solar heat, keeping it out of your home or business. They also help to reduce glare.
- Low-emissivity (Low-E) coatings control the non-solar heat flow through windows, dramatically reducing energy costs in cold climates.
- Reflective coatings reduce the amount of solar light transmitted through the window, reducing glare as well as solar heat transfer.
- Spectrally selective coatings filter out up to 70% of heat typically transmitted through insulated glass while allowing full light transmission.
A Glass Doctor® glass specialist will determine not only your climate control needs but which type of glass satisfies them. Glass Doctor experts will install whatever window glass you decide, including insulated glass units.
Call (855) 603-1919 to schedule a free in-home consultation to choose the type of window glass that is perfect for you.
Window Types: http://energy.gov/energysaver/window-types