Advanced Driver Assistance Systems Calibration
Advanced Driver Assistance Systems Calibration in Tampa, FL
Automakers are continuously finding new ways to keep drivers safe while operating their vehicles. In fact, in newer makes and models, manufacturers have begun adding Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS). ADAS helps driver stay protected when they’re on the road, but it also protects everyone around them, including passengers and pedestrians. ADAS assists drivers with driving safely, by providing alerts, warnings, and detecting dangers that drivers cannot detect.
If you’re driving a vehicle that contains ADAS features, then you may be unaware of the fact that if you replace your windshield, your forward-facing camera must be calibrated. Many manufacturers require calibration after repair because it affects the overall operation of your vehicle. Calibration ensures that the sensors within your vehicle are functioning accurately. It can be a challenging process to understand calibration so not every auto glass shop offers this service. At Glass Doctor of Tampa Bay, we have trained specialists who have the equipment to calibrate your ADAS camera responsibly and keep you and your vehicle safe.
ADAS Features in Your Car
Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) encompasses many different features with a wide range of complexity. ADAS can do something as simple as blind-spot detection or as complex as collision avoidance. For these features to exist, they utilize a camera and a variety of sensors. Some vehicle makes may include a 360-degree camera. Your vehicle may have many features, or just a few, but here is a list of what ADAS technology is found in newer vehicles:
- Auto-on headlights
- Rain sensing wipers
- Adaptive cruise control
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Lane departure sensors
- Lane keep assist
- Collision avoidance systems
- Drowsy driver detection
- Intelligent speed adaptation, or intelligent speed advice (ISA)
- Pedestrian detection systems
- Rear collision warning
- Parking sensors/park assist
- Automated parking
Visit this Glass Doctor Blog for more information on specific ADAS features.
ADAS technology and capabilities are expected to continue to grow in the future, with many features already being mandated on new vehicles in the US and EU.
Why Does My ADAS System Need to Be Calibrated?
ADAS systems are complex and if a sensor in your vehicle is off by even the tiniest millimeter, then you are putting yourself and your vehicle at risk for a collision. When your sensors are aligned correctly then they can detect other vehicles and obstacles that may be in your way. Calibration of your system requires both special training and knowledgeable specialists, so they can ensure that your system is operating efficiently and accurately. That’s why at Glass Doctor of Tampa Bay, we work hard so the job is done right.
ADAS Calibration Process
ADAS calibration requires our trained specialists to follow industry standards and best practices to ensure an accurate result. The process typically takes 1-2 hours, and our mobile repair team can come to your home, business, or other location, for your convenience. The calibration process requires four steps:
- Pre-scan – The first step is to determine if the cameras and sensors are working properly. If they are damaged or malfunctioning, your vehicle will be sent to the dealer for repair.
- Replacement – If your windshield requires repair or replacement, our auto glass specialists will perform the necessary repairs or replace it with a windshield that meets the Auto Glass Replacement Safety Standard (AGRSS).
- Calibration – There are two types of calibration: dynamic and static. Dynamic calibration requires driving the vehicle, and static calibration uses a fixed target image at a specific distance in front of the vehicle. Your vehicle may require one or both processes depending upon year, make and model.
- Post-scan – The post-scan process is the final test to ensure the calibration is accurate and everything is working properly.
Schedule an ADAS Calibration with Glass Doctor of Tampa Bay, FL
Glass Doctor of Tampa Bay provides windshield repair and replacement services that include the ADAS calibration for Tampa Bay, Plant City, Brandon, and surrounding areas. You can trust that our skilled specialists will work hard to ensure that you are completely satisfied with your service, and that your vehicle is operating properly. Contact us online or call (813) 886-2081 to learn more about our auto glass services.