Windshield Repair and Replacement
It happens to every windshield eventually, a chip or crack obstructs your view. This blemish may prove to be dangerous to you and your passengers. Glass Doctor® of Omaha repairs most chips without difficulty, but if your windshield has a crack more than three inches long, it probably needs to be replaced immediately.
As a rule, we always inspect your windshield to determine whether or not it can be repaired. If it can be repaired, we will fix it on the spot. If a repair is not possible, we schedule an appointment at our shop to perform a complete replacement. Glass Doctor of Omaha takes the following into consideration when deciding whether to fix or replace your windshield:
- Condition: Waiting to repair a chip or crack allows it to fill with dirt, salt and other road debris. This leads to the need for a full replacement, so act quickly to ensure auto glass repair is possible.
- Extent: Cracks longer than three inches are almost always a cause for a full replacement. The same is true of chips exceeding 3/8 inch.
- Placement: If your windshield damage is near the edges, this often leads to the crack or chip eventually increasing in size. This merits a full replacement. Your vision needs to be completely clear when driving, so damage directly in front of the driver calls for a replacement as well.
Glass Doctor of Omaha does the legwork of putting in an insurance claim for you, and accepts all of the main insurers. Prior to scheduling your damage consultation, we recommend you check with your specific company or a representative to be sure that you are covered.
Windshield Repair Versus Replacement
There are several advantages to having your windshield repaired instead of replaced. Glass Doctor of Omaha often recommends auto glass repair over replacement because it saves you time and money. It is also environmentally friendly and your insurer may pay for the service
Glass Doctor of Omaha has a team of specialists ready to perform your auto glass repair. They clean the site of the damage, and then fill it with a clear resin using their specialized tools and processes. This cures quickly, then our team polishes it to clarity. Sometimes an outline of the repair remains around the site.
Replacement occurs when auto glass repair is not an option. Your safety and the safety of your passengers is our top concern. A compromised windshield greatly reduces the strength of your vehicle. The following specific process ensures that your new windshield will protect you:
- Removal: The specialists remove the damaged windshield and ensure that the site is clean and ready for the replacement.
- Selection: Your new windshield will match your vehicle's original standards as set by the manufacturer. The adhesives used in our installation services are Auto Glass Safety Council™ (AGSC) recommended.
- Installation: Your new windshield installation follows AGSC guidelines, so after waiting one hour to allow for curing you are on your way.
- Guarantee: We will make good use of your wait to present our free Windshield Protection Plan. Any damages that occur during the 12 months after installation receive a completely free repair!
Your windshield is the first line of defense against the road's dangers. Call Glass Doctor of Omaha today for answers to any questions that you have and to schedule your auto glass repair or replacement.