Keep Your Home Comfortable with Double Pane Windows
A home must constantly withstand the effects of seasonal weather and drastic temperature changes, especially in Midwestern cities like Omaha. Although no part of a structure is immune to the thermal variance, the windows suffer disproportionately. Since windows are the primary source of thermal exchange in structures, the entire home feels the effects that weather has on windows. Glass Doctor® of Omaha installs a variety of double pane windows also called insulated glass units (IGUs) to better insulate your home.
What Are Insulated Glass Units?
Insulating your walls and attic are essential to quality energy efficiency, but it is equally important to have well-insulated windows. Fortunately, IGUs do an excellent job of maintaining a structure's thermal balance. This means that summer heat remains outside, and winter warmth remains indoors. This reduces the demand for a home's heating and cooling system, which translates into energy savings for homeowners. IGUs are made of several different components to keep your home at a comfortable temperature:
- IGUs consist of multiple panes of glass, usually two, that are kept separate by a spacer that provides insulation.
- Since the panes do not actually touch, heat and cold are less able to transfer
- Spacers are made of desiccant or material that absorbs moisture.
- In more advanced IGUs, the space between the panes is filled with inert gases such as krypton or argon. These gases are less conductive of heat and cold and thus provide better insulation.
- The IGU is sealed along the edges with a high-grade sealant made of silicon or a similar substance. This ensures moisture does not enter the space between the panes, which could lead to condensation and reduced efficiency.
Upgrading Your Ohama Home Windows
To determine what can be done to increase the efficiency of your home's windows, our window specialists will assess your current situation and develop the best plan in terms of both efficiency and cost. In some cases, the best course of action might be to totally replace some or all of a structure's windows. In other cases, installing fresh double pane glass in your home's current frames solves your issues, while providing substantial savings. Regardless of the service, contact Glass Doctor of Omaha to schedule a window evaluation today!