Windshield Repair and Replacement
Deciding between windshield repair or replacement is anxiety inducing and frustrating. The wrong choice leads to a more drawn out problem. Luckily, specialists from Glass Doctor® of Des Moines are available to inspect your windshield and provide the safest and most cost-effective answer. Picking which service is the best option for you depends on the size, location and when the damage occurred to your windshield.
- Size: Generally speaking, chips that are the size of an penny, 3/8-inch, or larger and cracks that are longer than your pinky finger, three inches, will require a windshield replacement. If the chips or cracks are smaller than that, it is possible to repair the damage.
- Location: Any cracks or chips that block the driver’s line of vision and those that are located near the edges of the windshield require windshield replacement.
- Duration: In general, the longer a chip or crack has been in your windshield, the less likely it is that a repair will solve the problem.
If you notice a chip or crack in your windshield, contact Glass Doctor of Des Moines immediately to have the damage fixed conveniently and correctly. We work with all major insurance carriers and will handle the filing process for you.
In many cases, windshield repair is a safe and cost-effective alternative to replacement. The process begins with a Glass Doctor of Des Moines specialist removing the debris from your damaged windshield. Once the debris is removed, the specialist uses a special drill to create a clean path through the windshield. After the hole is drilled, a high-quality resin is inserted. The resin is cured and polished to restore strength and clarity.
Windshield repair offers an array of advantages:
- It’s convenient. Windshield repair generally takes one hour.
- It’s less expensive. Repairing a windshield costs less than replacing it.
- It may save you a deductible. Because windshield repair is less expensive than windshield replacement, many insurance companies waive the deductible.
- It is safe. Repairing a crack or chip allows our specialist to keep use the automobile’s original equipment.
- It’s better for the environment. Repairing a chip or dent keeps damaged windshields out of the trash.
If your Glass Doctor of Des Moines specialist determines that the damage to your windshield is too extensive for repair, a replacement is ordered. While windshield replacement takes a little longer and may cost a little more than windshield repair, the process is designed to ensure that your windshield is safe and as crystal clear as the original.
The service begins with the careful removal of the damaged windshield. Great care is taken to protect the bonding surface, which will leak or develop corrosion if damaged. Next, a windshield matching the original equipment manufactured quality is selected and installed following the Auto Glass Safety Council™ (AGSC) approved procedures. Glass Doctor of Des Moines only uses AGSC-approved materials and adhesives. Once the windshield is installed, it dries for an hour and then you drive away free of chips and cracks with a clear view.
Plus, if your windshield is damaged within the next 12 months, Glass Doctor of Des Moines will fix the problem free of charge. Call (515) 512-4008 or schedule an appointment today!