Glass Doctor installed the most perfect shower enclosure I've ever seen. Ahead of schedule, on budget, exactly what was ordered! This was a GREAT deal. Thank you.
Window Repair: Cracked Glass Will Eventually Break
We wish we could tell you that you can fix glass with a crack in it. Unfortunately, all you can do it take temporary measures to keep the crack from spreading. But the reality is you have to replace the glass eventually.
Don't repair glass yourself if you lack experience, and don't bother replacing the whole window by yourself. At Glass Doctor®, we provide expert-level glass replacement and repair services for long-term solutions. Call 855-603-1919 for an in-person consultation to fix cracked glass.
Repair Tips: What to Do When Window Panes Crack
There are two things to know about cracked glass:
- It’s going to break eventually
- If it’s not safety glass, when it breaks, someone could get hurt.
Glass Doctor is the place for all things glass in your home. Whether it’s replacing a cracked window pane or a custom-cut tabletop, we’re local, bonded and experienced. Here are some temporary measures to repair cracked glass.
Contain the Inevitable | Fix Cracked Glass
The reason these fixes are temporary is because once glass is cracked, the crack will spread. You can’t stop it, but you might be able to slow it down.
- Masking tape will stick to glass and help stabilize it. Tape the crack on both sides of the glass.
- Superglue may help contain the crack, but it’s won’t hold your window together indefinitely. Clean the glass surface with acetone (nail polish remover) and carefully apply the glue.
If your window pane is cracked, so is the insulation value. Whether it’s heat or AC, you’re paying for the air escaping through the break.
- Cover the window with plastic. There are kits you can use to insulate your windows in the winter that go up with a blow dryer.
- If you have a storm window, you can also put insulation in between the panes. Try using bubble wrap; the air pockets will provide more insulation than cardboard.
While you’re working on the window, check around the frame and glass. If there are gaps—especially with older windows—break out the caulk gun and seal them.
For Real Glass Crack Repair, Replace the Pane
As soon as you’re able, get the glass replaced. If you have a double-paned window and the crack has broken the seal, that’s an easy fix. We’re happy to come out and put in a new sealed pane.
But if your windows are old and your HVAC bills have been climbing, maybe it’s time to invest in some modern, safe insulated glass units. New energy-efficient windows will save you a few hundred dollars a year on your heat bills.
Most importantly, a cracked window that doesn’t have a safety emblem will eventually break into jagged shards of glass. If you have kids or pets, you need to remove the glass for safety measures.
Give us a call at 855-603-1919 and let’s schedule a free consultation at your home.
Modern Remodeling: http://www.modernremodelinginc.com/do-window-replacements-really-pay-for-themselves/