Windshield Repair and Replacement
A crack or chip on a windshield is more than an imperfection in the glass. A chipped or cracked windshield is a safety hazard that’s potentially fatal if your vehicle is in a collision. To protect the occupants in your vehicle, Glass Doctor® of Virginia Beach recommends that you schedule a windshield repair or replacement as soon as you notice a crack or chip with its in-shop or mobile service.
Windshield Repair or Windshield Replacement
When you work with Glass Doctor of Virginia Beach, an auto glass specialist will make the decision to repair or replace a windshield based on the safest option. Factors taken into consideration include:
- Impact Size: We generally repair chips that are the size of a quarter or smaller, as well as cracks that are three inches or less. If you have a chip on your windshield that has not been repaired, we recommend that you avoid using the vehicle's defrost setting because it may cause a crack to spread. Once the chip has been repaired, this is no longer a threat.
- Impact age: The more dirt the chip or crack has, the more difficult it is to repair.
- Impact location: Cracks near a windshield’s edge and chips in a driver’s line of sight require replacements.
A windshield repair will help restore your vehicle’s structural integrity. Schedule an appointment with an experienced auto glass specialist from Glass Doctor of Virginia Beach today!
Windshield Repair Procedure
Whenever it’s a safe option, Glass Doctor of Virginia Beach recommends windshield repairs over replacements because:
- Cost & savings: Windshield repairs cost less than replacements.
- Efficiency: Windshield repairs take under 60 minutes to complete. Glass Doctor of Virginia Beach has a faster safe drive-away time than anyone else.
- Safety: Repairs preserve the original factory equipment and prevent dangerous glass breaks in a collision.
- Eco-friendly: Windshield glass usually ends up in landfills because it’s difficult to recycle. A repair saves resources and landfill space.
- Insurance benefits: Depending on your auto policy, your insurance company may cover the cost of a windshield repair and waive the deductible. Glass Doctor of Virginia Beach will gladly take care of the glass claim for you.
Windshield Repair Steps
When Glass Doctor of Virginia Beach repairs your windshield, a glass specialist will do the following:
- Clean the chip or crack
- Use a drill, if necessary, to create a passageway for the clear resin
- Inject resin into the chip or crack using a special tool
- Allow the resin to harden
- Polish the resin for a clear finish
Windshield Replacement Steps
A windshield replacement may save your life. In a rollover accident, a windshield accounts for up to 60% of a vehicle’s structural integrity, according to the Auto Glass Safety Council™ (AGSC). When Glass Doctor of Virginia Beach replaces your windshield, a glass specialist follows specific protocols:
- Remove the windshield while protecting the vehicle’s bonding surface to prevent corrosion and leaks
- Select a windshield with matching original equipment manufacturer (OEM) quality
- Select an adhesive that the AGSC approves
- Install the windshield using AGSC standards and practices
- Allow the adhesive to cure
G12® Road Hazard Guarantee
When you replace your windshield using Glass Doctor of Virginia Beach, you have the option to take advantage of our G12® Road Hazard Guarantee. If you participate in the program, repairs and replacements due to common road hazard are free of charge within 12 months of the installation date; you only pay for labor and molding.
At Glass Doctor of Virginia Beach, we work around your schedule and can come to you. Call us today to schedule a service!