Double Pane Windows
Windows are hands down the number one source of energy exchange in your home, and the extreme weather changes your home experiences weigh heavily on them. Windows that are not sealed properly leak climate control air, letting in drafts. This exchange accounts for nearly 25% of your annual heating and cooling costs, but, fortunately, there are ways to drastically lower those costs. Glass Doctor® of Michigan City will help you balance and regulate your home’s interior climate. Our specialists install insulated glass units (IGUs), otherwise known as double-pane windows to reduce air exchange and increase efficiency.
Double pane windows will also leak if a seal is broken, so it’s important to look for signs of condensation or a milky appearance under the panes even after you’ve made the upgrade.
Insulated Glass Units Defined
Insulated glass units are the combination of at least two pieces of glass with air or inert gas between the panes. Some units have argon or krypton gas added to the airspace to provide additional insulation, and the unit’s entire perimeter is sealed with a high-grade sealant to prevent condensation accumulation between the panes. An IGU consists of a spacer, desiccant (a drying agent), sealant, airspace, and glass.
An IGU is designed to help control energy transfer inside to outside or vice versa. It does this by controlling:
- Conduction: the heat flow through the window frame or glass
- Radiation: the energy transmitted from sunlight
- Convection: the heat flow by the movement of a gas or fluid
Benefits of Double Pane Windows
Insulated, or double pane, glass keeps out the cold and heat, making your home more energy efficient and comfortable. IGUs reduce heat gain from outside during the summer and reduce window heat transmittance during the winter, both of which maintain a consistent temperature in your home. As a result, your home’s heating and air conditioning systems run less, saving you energy and money. Upgrade your single-pane windows to enjoy the numerous advantages of IGUS:
- IGUs save you money by reducing energy usage by up to 18 percent in hot climates during the summer and 24 percent in cold climates during the winter when compared to older, single pane windows.
- Double pane windows are good for the environment because you’re burning less fossil fuel and creating fewer greenhouse gas emissions.
- IGU’s significantly reduce outdoor noise pollution, making them a valuable investment in your peace and quiet, particularly in busy urban areas.
Window Glass Replacement
At Glass Doctor of Michigan City, we specialize in insulated glass unit replacement. The good news is you don’t always need to replace the entire window. Our glass specialists will install double or triple pane units in your case for a budget-friendly cost. Learn more about our service during your free, in-home appointment. Call or fill out an online form today to set it up!