Windshield Repair and Replacement
If you have a vehicle with a damaged windshield, you might be wondering if a repair or replacement is needed. Though Glass Doctor® of Lawton will repair most damaged windshields, cracks that are longer than three inches require a windshield replacement to protect the structural integrity of your vehicle.
When deciding if your windshield requires repair or replacement, we consider a few factors:
- Size: There are a few exceptions, but usually chips larger than 3/8 inch and cracks that are over three inches long require a windshield replacement.
- Location: When a crack has splintered to the edge of a windshield, it generally requires replacement to prevent spreading. Chips or cracks that impair your line of vision also require replacement, because repairs often do not cure clearly, so a slight outline is visible in the repair area.
- Timespan: The longer a chip or crack remains unaddressed, the more likely dirt and grime will build up. This can make it difficult to perform a successful repair.
We work with all major insurance carriers, so our specialists will handle the insurance filing for you. We advise that you contact your insurer to verify coverage before you have your windshield repaired or replaced.
Don’t allow a crack in your windshield to threaten your safety. Contact Glass Doctor of Lawton today. Our auto glass specialists have the necessary skills and experience needed to determine your windshield repair and replacement needs.
Repairing your windshield is a cost-effective alternative to windshield replacement that can stop cracks and chips from getting worse.
Whenever possible, we suggest repair over replacement because of the following:
- Convenience: Our specialists will typically perform a windshield repairs within the hour.
- Cost-Effective: A windshield repair is a more cost-effective option than a replacement.
- Insurance Advantages: Because of the cost-effectiveness of windshield repair, many insurance companies will waive your deductible.
- Environmentally Responsible: A windshield repair keeps old glass out of landfills.
Before repairing your windshield, our specialists will remove debris from the damaged area, sometimes using a special drill to create clean passageway for the repair resin. This resin is then injected into the damaged area using a tool that attaches to the surface of your glass. After the injection, the resin is cured and then polished to a clear finish.
Replacing your windshield quickly will ensure your safety. According to the Auto Glass Safety Council™ (AGSC), your windshield accounts for up to 60% of the structural integrity during a rollover accident. This percentage varies based on the car’s make and model. We will perform a series of steps to ensure the proper replacement of your car’s windshield.
- Your windshield will be carefully removed to avoid any damage to your paint and bonding surface, which could lead to leaks and corrosion.
- Only a windshield that matches the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) quality will be installed.
- Only AGSC-approved adhesives will be used on your vehicle during the windshield replacement process.
- Your new windshield will be replaced following the procedures recommended by the AGSC. A recommended one hour drive-away time for passenger safety is also observed, allowing for the adhesive to cure.
- Our specialists will review our G12® Windshield Road Hazard Guarantee, which states that if your windshield is damaged within the next 12 months, We will repair any chips or cracks, free of charge. If your windshield is damaged beyond repair, we will replace the glass for free.
Chipped or cracked windshields should never go ignored. Contact Glass Doctor of Lawton any time you are dealing with broken auto glass or schedule an appointment online.