Windshield Repair and Replacement
Windshield glass repair doesn't have to be a painful experience, especially when you have Glass Doctor® of Dothan on your side. Our specialists will determine whether you need a windshield repair or a full replacement.
There are several key factors that our auto glass specialist will take into consideration when assessing a damaged windshield.
- Size: Typically you'll need a replacement when you have a chip that measures at least 3/8 inch across or a crack that measures at least three inches long.
- Location: There are a couple windshield locations that tend to require a full replacement. The first is the edge of the windshield, as cracks along the edge are more likely to spread. The second is anywhere in the driver's line of vision. Most repairs don't cure fully, which leaves faint marks in the repaired area. These marks can be distracting to the driver.
- Time span: The longer you leave a damaged windshield unattended, the more likely it is that you'll need a full replacement. A clean repair is unattainable if dirt and debris builds up in the chips and cracks.
Whenever possible, our auto glass specialist will recommend repairing a windshield instead of replacing it for the following reasons.
No one likes to leave a vehicle at the repair shop overnight. Glass Doctor of Dothan specialists repair windshields within an hour, which is more convenient for you. As it is less expensive to repair than replace a windshield, many insurance companies will waive the deductible and cover the cost of the windshield repair. Plus, you save the environment from yet another windshield in the landfill.
A Glass Doctor of Dothan specialist starts a windshield repair by cleaning debris and dirt out of the damaged area. In some instances, the specialist will use a drill to create a clean space for the repair resin. Then the specialist injects the resin into the damaged area with a tool that attaches itself to the glass surface. After injecting the resin, the specialist lets it cure and then polishes it to a clear finish.
In the event of a rollover accident, the windshield supports 60% of a vehicle's structure. A solid windshield is essential to the safety of the driver and passengers. If your vehicle requires a full replacement, Glass Doctor of Dothan will take the following steps to guarantee that the replacement goes as smoothly as possible.
- The specialist will remove the windshield carefully to minimize risk of damaging the paint and bonding surface.
- We will then select a windshield that meets the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) standards.
- Our specialists will follow the Auto Glass Safety Council (AGSC) procedures for installing the new windshield. This includes using AGSC-approved adhesives and allowing the adhesive to cure for one hour before the owner drives the vehicle again.
Make sure to check with your insurance agent before you dropping off your vehicle, so you understand your coverage details. From there, Glass Doctor of Dothan handles insurance filing for our customers who have coverage through major carriers.
Schedule an appointment online or call us at 855-971-6147 to get your windshield restored and looking brand new again!