Windshield Repair and Replacement
If you are a driver and have never heard that unmistakable sound that signals windshield damage, then you're fortunate. Perhaps your luck will continue, but if it shouldn't and you find yourself in need of windshield repair or replacement service, contact Glass Doctor® of St. Joseph to ensure the job is done correctly at the right price.
What You Need to Know about Windshield Damage
When it comes to windshield damage and repair, there are a few things every vehicle owner should know. These things can help keep you safe and avoid expenses.
- A Windshield's Role in Stability: A cracked windshield is more than simply a nuisance or cosmetic blemish; glass damage is a potential safety risk. Windshield glass in particular plays an important role in vehicle safety. Don't think of the windshield as only being a barrier between a car's interior and the air rushing toward it. The windshield is an integral component of the vehicle's overall structural design. In the event of a crash, the car's windshield aids in stabilizing the automobile's body, protecting passengers. An unattended crack or chip weakens a windshield and reduces its effectiveness as a stabilizer.
- Avoiding Dangerous Shards:In addition to stability, windshields are designed to resist turning into jagged shards when the glass shatters. Cracks and other windshield damage will interfere with the way the system works and allow dangerous shards to form during an accident.
- Damage Size Considerations:Glass Doctor of St. Joseph will usually repair cracks up to about three inches, and chips about the size of a thumb. The amount of time the damage has been present will affect the success of a repair. If a repair is not possible, we will brief you on your replacement options.
- Rapid Repairs Reduce Expense:A small crack out of the line of sight might not seems like an immediate concern, but windshield cracks grow rapidly. If left unattended, a crack that could have been an easy, inexpensive windshield repair will turn into a costly windshield replacement.
- Insurers Love Repairs:Although your full-coverage insurance might cover the cost of replacement, you'll still be left with the deductible. However, if you contact Glass Doctor of St. Joseph to repair the damage, your insurer will likely cover the cost and waive the deductible.
Our Windshield Repair and Replacement Processes
The specialist will clean the area and prepare it by smoothing any rough edges. Next, we inject a polymer into the crack or chip. The polymer is dried using heat and a final smoothing is performed to ensure a glossy finish. The entire process usually takes less than an hour.
If the specialist determines that the crack is too large to safely repair, the windshield needs to be replaced. This process can only be performed in shop, and takes a little longer due to the additional time required for the adhesive to safely cure.
Now that you know a little about windshield repair and damage, you're ready to ensure your safety and avoid costly replacement. If you notice windshield damage, schedule an appointment with Glass Doctor of St. Joseph as soon as possible and let us take care of it.