Windshield Repair and Replacement
A cracked or chipped windshield is a major safety issue, risking not only your safety, but also the safety of other drivers, as you are more vulnerable to being involved in an accident. If your windshield has been damaged, Glass Doctor® of Montrose, CO can repair any small chips, but chips and cracks longer than three inches usually indicate your windshield will need to be immediately replaced.
Glass Doctor of Montrose takes three factors into consideration when deciding whether the best option for your vehicle is windshield chip repair or windshield replacement.
- Size: The rule of thumb is if a crack is longer than a credit car or a chip is more than 3/8 inch, you'll generally require windshield replacement.
- Location: If a crack has splintered to the edge of the windshield, or if chips or cracks are in your direct line of vision, the windshield will need to be replaced. In these instances a repair seldom cures clearly, leaving a slight outline in the area of repair.
- Timespan: The more time that passes before you address windshield chips and cracks, the more likely it is that dirt will build up in them, making a successful repair difficult and replacement a necessity.
Glass Doctor of Montrose works with all major insurance carriers and handles filing the insurance paperwork for you. We always recommend you contact your insurance agent to verify coverage before scheduling your windshield chip repair or pane replacement.
Windshield repair stops chips and cracks from spreading and is a less expensive alternative to windshield replacement.
Glass Doctor of Montrose recommends repair over replacement for a number of reasons:
- Convenience: Our specialists complete rock chip repair in 30 minutes onsite.
- Inexpensive: Windshield chip repair is far more cost-effective than whole windshield replacement.
- Insurance Advantage: Many insurance companies will waive the deductible and pay for windshield repair due to the economic advantages of repair over replacement.
- Environmentally Responsible: Repairing the existing windshield keeps old glass out of landfills, where it does not biodegrade.
The first step we take in windshield repair is to remove debris from the area; sometimes we use a drill to create a clean channel for the repair resin. A special resin is then injected into the damaged area, cured and finally polished to a clear finish.
If your car requires a windshield replacement, our skilled specialists will happily schedule a time for you to drop your car off at the shop. We exclusively perform replacement work in shop to ensure appropriate procedures are followed. Glass Doctor of Montrose ensures proper windshield replacement by following these steps:
- Careful removal of the windshield to avoid damage to the paint and bonding surface. Damage to these areas often causes leaks and corrosion.
- Selection of a replacement windshield that matches in quality the OEM (original equipment manufacturer).
- Applying only adhesives that have been approved by the Auto Glass Safety Council™ (AGSC).
- Following AGSC recommended procedures for replacing the windshield and observing the one-hour drive-away time for passenger safety, which allows the adhesive to properly cure.
Once your replacement windshield is installed, we review our Windshield Protection Plan with you. We guarantee that if your new windshield is damaged within 12 months of being replaced, we will repair any chips or cracks free of charge. If your new windshield is broken beyond repair, Glass Doctor of Montrose will replace the glass for free.
Count on the Glass Doctor of Montrose team to restore your car's windshield. Make an appointment with a specialist today