Windshield Repair and Replacement
Windshield damage, whether it's small chips or larger cracks, makes your vehicle’s appearance less than ideal. But the affects aren’t just cosmetic. If left unrepaired or unreplaced, a damaged windshield poses a safety risk for you and your passengers.
The sooner you address the problem, the better. Chips and cracks get worse over time, as temperature changes cause your windshield to expand and contract. If your windshield is compromised, so is your safety. The windshield is an important part of your car’s structure, keeping the roof from collapsing in an accident. A windshield affects the way airbags deploy, pushing them into the correct position. If you’re propelled forward in a serious accident, your windshield will keep you from being ejected from your vehicle.
Glass Doctor® of Kitchener-Waterloo will help repair or replace your windshield properly and at your convenience. We'll examine your windshield and determine if repair is a safe option or if it a replacement is better.
Your auto glass repair specialist will consider the following:
Is the damage a chip or a crack?
Generally, small chips - less than 3/8 an inch - may be successfully repaired. Larger chips and cracks warrant a windshield replacement.
Where is the damage located?
If a chip is located directly in the driver’s line of vision, a windshield replacement is usually recommended. A repair may not cure clearly, so the driver may see a blurry spot afterward.
Cracks near the edge of the windshield are likely to spread and will also need immediate replacement.
When did the damage occur?
If the chip or crack has been left without repair, dirt and road salt builds up at the site of the damage over time. This makes a successful windshield repair more difficult, so a replacement may be necessary.
When possible, a repair is recommended, because of these advantages:
- Cost: A repair is cheaper than a replacement. Some insurance companies will also waive your deductible if you have your windshield repaired.
- Convenience: We usually repair your windshield within an hour.
- Original equipment: Your factory-installed original windshield stays intact.
Our specialists will use their experience and expertise to fix your windshield so it will look good and provide the protection you need. We’ll perform the following steps:
- Remove debris that accumulated in the damaged area
- Inject a special resin into the area
- Cure the resin, which restores the strength of your windshield
- Polish the surface to a clear finish
If your windshield requires replacement, Glass Doctor of Kitchener-Waterloo will expertly perform the service. Our step-by-step procedure directly reflects industry best practices:
- Carefully remove the windshield, avoiding damage to the bonding surface
- Choose a replacement windshield that matches the original equipment manufactured (OEM)
- Replace your windshield, following procedures and adhesives recommended by the Auto Glass Safety Council™ (AGSC)
- Allow the new windshield to set for one hour
For driver safety a one-hour drying period is observed. This gives the adhesive time to cure and properly form a seal. During this period, we explain our G12® Road Hazard Guarantee. If your new windshield is chipped within 12 months, we’ll repair it for free and replace the glass for free if it’s cracked or broken.
Take the first step to a pristine windshield and schedule an appointment today. Our Glass Doctor of Kitchener-Waterloo specialists will use their expertise and experience to determine the best course of action, fix the problem and get you safely and quickly on your way!
Canada excluded. Services performed by independently owned and operated franchises.
Time limit for claims applies. Full details here.