Windshield Repair and Replacement
Your windshield is all that stands between you and the outdoor elements. When your windshield chips or cracks, there is no question about what to do. Call Glass Doctor® of Tyler.
Even if the chip looks minor and you don’t believe it needs to be repaired immediately, the best course of action is to make the call. Chips often become cracks, and windshield cracks put your vehicle’s structural integrity at risk.
A Glass Doctor specialist will be able to prescribe the best treatment for your windshield. If your auto glass is diagnosed with a chip, there’s a good chance it will be possible to repair it. If it’s a crack, it’s likely that auto glass replacement will be what the doctor orders.
Deciding whether to repair or replace a windshield is based on three key factors:
- Size: Chips larger than an dime and cracks that are longer than your pinky finger require windshield replacement.
- Location: Cracks located around the edges of your windshield and chips located in the driver’s line of vision generally result in windshield replacement.
- Time: If a chip has been on your windshield for a long period of time, it is more likely to result in windshield replacement.
Glass Doctor of Tyler works with every major insurance carrier and handles every aspect of the filing - from start to finish. Of course, it is always a good idea to contact your insurance company in advance to confirm that auto glass repair and replacement is covered.
Once a Glass Doctor specialist has made a diagnosis, and insurance coverage is confirmed, the repair or replacement can begin.
Windshield repair is a less-expensive alternative to replacement. It can stop small chips and cracks from becoming larger and ensure that the structural integrity of your windshield is maintained.
When possible, our specialists recommend repair because it offers several advantages, including:
- Convenience: Our specialists generally take an hour to repair a windshield.
- Cost savings: Repairs are less expensive than a replacement.
- Waived deductibles: Many insurance companies waive deductibles for repairs.
- Safety: Repairs ensure that the original factory equipment remains on your car, truck or SUV.
- The environment: Repairing windshields keeps glass out of landfills.
The repair process is fast and relatively simple. We use specialized tools to remove the debris from the damaged area. Sometimes a drill is used to establish a clean path, which is then patched with repair resin. The resin is then cured and polished to ensure that it is both strong and crystal clear.
When a windshield repair is not possible, it is important to have the auto glass replaced. Today’s vehicles rely on windshield for both aesthetics as well as structural integrity. In fact, your windshield may be as important to the structural integrity of your car, truck or SUV as the body and frame.
During the replacement, the damaged windshield is removed with great care. This is done to preserve the bonding surface, which can cause leaks and corrosion if compromised. Next, a replacement windshield that perfectly matches the original equipment manufacturer’s quality is selected and installed. Glass Doctor specialists use only the best, Auto Glass Safety Council™-approved adhesives and the council’s strict policies and practices are followed. After the replacement windshield is installed, you can drive away in an hour - secure with the knowledge that your windshield is keeping you and your car safe.
If for some reason your windshield cracks or chips, you can also rest assured knowing that our G12® Road Hazard Guarantee means we'll replace the glass again, free of charge.