Windshield Repair and Replacement
Today’s cars, trucks and SUVs rely on their windshields for much more than aesthetics and aerodynamics. They rely on their windshields for structural integrity as well. In fact, windshields may be every bit as important to the structural integrity of your vehicle as its body and frame.
If you have a crack or chip in the windshield of your vehicle, contact Glass Doctor® of Nashville to have the damaged auto glass assessed and repaired or replaced as soon as possible.
Our specialist will be able to quickly determine whether the auto glass can be repaired or whether it needs to be replaced.
In general, chips that are larger than an M&M and cracks that longer than the length of your pinky will necessitate that your auto glass be replaced. In addition, cracks and chips that are in the driver’s line of vision, near the edges of the windshield or have been there for a long period of time might also lead to replacement, regardless of their size.
Where to start
If you notice a crack or chip in your windshield, you need to take action right away to the ensure the safety of the car's passengers:
- Check in with your insurance company to make sure that your windshield repair or replacement will be covered. We work with all major insurance companies.
- Contact Glass Doctor of Nashville to make an appointment to have your windshield repaired or replaced.
- Make your vehicle available so our specialist is able to assess the situation and make the repair or replacement. Our mobile team can meet you at any location, or bring it into the shop for an inspection.
Whenever possible, our specialists choose windshield repair. It is a process that involves removing the projectile from the chip or crack, drilling out a fresh, clean hole, and filling it with a resin that is then cured to ensure it is solid and crystal clear.
Windshield repairs offers advantages over windshield replacements, including:
- Cost savings: Insurance companies often waive deductibles for windshield repairs.
- Time savings: We complete most windshield repairs in about one hour.
- Safety: All of the original factory parts of your automobile’s windshield are left in place, maintaining 100 percent of your car, truck or SUV’s structural integrity.
To properly repair your windshield, Glass Doctor specialists remove debris from the impacted area, sometimes using a drill to create a clean passageway for the repair resin. A special resin is then injected into the damaged area using a tool that attaches to the surface of the glass. After injection, the resin is cured to restore the strength of the windshield and polished to a clear finish.
There are some cases when simply repairing a windshield is not a viable option. These include chips and cracks that have been in the auto glass too long, impede the driver’s ability to see, or have become too large to be repaired.
If the specialist determines that your windshield needs to be replaced, he or she will:
- Carefully remove the windshield, taking steps to protect the bonding surface
- Clean the bonding surface to ensure that the replacement windshield stays in place and maintains the structural integrity of your automobile
- Follow the processes and procedures put in place by the Auto Glass Safety Council and use only council-approved adhesives.
Once your new windshield is in place, it will need to dry for at least one hour. After that hour, you can drive away certain in the knowledge that you have a safe, secure new windshield--and if it cracks or chips again within a year, we will repair or replace it again for free.
If you notice a crack or chip, don’t put the safety of you, your family or your car at risk. Contact Glass Doctor of Nashville today to begin the repair process.