When your windshield is damaged, seek windshield repair services as soon as possible, regardless of the impact’s size. Glass Doctor® of Harrisburg, IL offers convenient auto glass repair and replacement services that work around your schedule.
Do You Need Windshield Repaired or Replaced?
The need for replacement or repair is one of the top questions that the glass specialists at Glass Doctor of Harrisburg, IL receives. We use the following factors to decide the best and safest option for you:
- Glass type: Because it’s designed to crumble, repairs on tempered glass are ineffective. The safest solution for tempered glass is replacement.
- Size: Cracks that are smaller than the size of a quarter, and cracks less than three inches are able to be repaired. Anything larger than these dimensions will most likely require a replacement.
- Timespan: Newer chips and cracks are simpler to repair than older ones. As the imperfections age, dirt and other particles build up in them, making it more difficult to complete a successful repair.
- Location: For safety reasons, we replace windshields when chips or cracks are in the driver’s line of site. We also do replacements when cracks are around the edge of the glass.
Cracks and chips in a windshield may threaten the architectural strength of the vehicle and safety of passengers when there’s a collision or rollover accident. Don’t wait for your windshield to become dangerous.
At Glass Doctor of Harrisburg, IL, we use Auto Glass Replacement Safety Standards™ (AGRSS) to repair windshields and restore a vehicle’s architectural strength. We recommend repairs to replacements when it’s a safe solution because:
- It’s cheaper: Repairs are less expensive than replacements.
- It takes less time: Glass specialists usually finish repairs within an hour.
- It’s better for the environment: Windshield glass is difficult to recycle and usually ends up in landfills. Repairs help reduce landfill waste and the demand for raw resources.
- There are insurance benefits: Many auto policies cover the cost of windshield repairs and waive deductibles. Glass Doctor of Harrisburg, IL will happily handle the windshield claim for you.
When repairing your windshield our auto glass specialist will complete the following steps: First, the specialists clean the impacted area and inject a special resin into the damaged area with a special tool, then they allow the resin to cure, finally they polish the cured resin for a clear finish.
Windshield replacements are vital to the safety of those in a vehicle. The Auto Glass Safety Council™ (AGSC) states that a windshield accounts for up to 60% of a vehicle’s structural integrity in a rollover accident, so it’s best to have it be strong as possible.
When Glass Doctor of Harrisburg, IL replaces your windshield, a glass specialist performs the following:
- Removes the damaged windshield, taking care not to damage the bonding surface or the vehicle’s paint
- Selects a windshield that matches AGRSS
- Installs the new windshield using an AGSC-approved adhesive
- Allows the adhesive to cure
Whenever Glass Doctor of Harrisburg, IL replaces a windshield, we back our work with the Windshield Protection Plan. If your windshield is damaged within 12 months of the installation date because of normal road hazards, we’ll repair or replace the glass for free. Limits and exclusions apply.
As soon as you notice a crack or chip in your windshield, call Glass Doctor of Harrisburg, IL as soon as possible. schedule an appointment today!