Windshield Repair and Replacement
If you've ever heard the telltale whack of a pebble or other road debris hitting your vehicle's windshield, you understand how frustrating windshield damage is to a driver. Glass Doctor® of Dearborn Heights, MI, specializes in fast, expert windshield repair and replacement. We want to make this normally onerous project hassle free.
Windshield Repair Factors
- Cracks: In most cases, cracks up to about 3-inches long can be safely repaired. Longer cracks usually require windshield replacement. Spider web cracks are also difficult to repair and are considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Chips: As a rule of thumb, chips smaller than a dime can usually be repaired. However, the longer you wait to call us, the less likely it is a repair will be possible.
- Safety: A cracked windshield is a safety concern. Not only do cracks and chips impair your vision, they also weaken your vehicle's structural integrity. Modern glass is strong and engineers incorporate it into vehicle design. A damaged windshield leaves you and your passengers at risk in a crash, especially in a rollover accident.
- Location Matters: Repairs that lead to a windshield edge can't be safely repaired so act fast to ensure cracks don't spread. Also, we recommend replacement for cracks and chips directly in the driver's line of sight. Repairs are clear and mostly unnoticeable, but they can distort vision in some cases.
- Act Fast: Don't delay windshield crack repair. Cracks spread quickly and quickly become too large to be safely repaired. Call us as soon as you notice damage to cut costs by avoiding the necessity of a full windshield replacement.
- Insurers Love Repairs: Insurers know better than anyone the cost-saving benefits of windshield repair and often offer policyholders financial incentives in the form of waived deductibles.
Windshield Crack Repair Process
When you call us to repair a damaged windshield, here's what you can expect:
- We'll arrive at your location and do an initial assessment to ensure a repair is possible and safe.
- We'll prepare the site and use a special tool to inject repair resin into the crack or chip.
- After the resin has dried, we'll polish the repair area to ensure it's as clear as possible.
- Finally, we'll help you prepare your insurance paperwork.
- Expect this entire process to take about an hour.
If windshield crack repair isn't possible, we'll need to replace the windshield at our shop. Here's what you can expect:
- We'll begin the process by finding an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) approved windshield. These are usually available locally. If not, we'll order one for overnight delivery.
- We'll next remove the damaged windshield, taking care not to damage the vehicle or scratch paint.
- An Auto Glass Safety Council (AGSC) approved adhesive is applied.
- The new windshield is set into place, ensuring it's perfectly aligned to form a waterproof seal. Excess adhesive is removed.
- Following AGSC guidelines, we begin a one-hour wait for the adhesive to safely dry.
- While the adhesive is drying, we'll ensure any glass pieces are removed from your vehicle's interior.
- We'll also help you with insurance paperwork.
If we replace your windshield, you qualify for our 12-month G12® Road Hazard Guarantee. If your windshield is damaged, we'll repair it and all you pay for is labor. The guarantee also covers one replacement during the period. Some restrictions apply.
Don't let windshield damage cause you headaches. Call Glass Doctor of Dearborn Heights, MI, and let us repair the damage.