Double Pane Windows in Cypress, TX
If you are looking for a way to better insulate your home, raise your property value, or cancel out noise from the outside world, double pane windows are the way to go. A double paned window, also known as an Insulated Glass Unit (IGU), is a window with two panes of glass that are separated by a vacuum or gas – like argon. These windows are twice as efficient as single pane windows because of their design. IGUs are designed to reduce both energy loss and outside noise, like traffic. They keep warm air inside during the cold winter months and cold air indoors during the humid summer months, and your home will be quieter all year long.
Glass Doctor® of Cypress has specialists who are trained in installing, replacing, and maintaining double paned windows to ensure that your home is always protected and efficient.
Science Behind Modern Units
Even though these panes are typically more expensive, given the choice, most homeowners can opt to install double pane windows, which keep your home insulated and temperature regulated. Single pane windows do not have air pockets, so heat passes through glass more readily than air. The air pockets in an IGU reduce conductivity in the window, resulting in a better-insulated home.
The twin panes of an IGU are held together with a space made of moisture-absorbent material called desiccant, and the entire unit is sealed to prevent the inner chamber from escaping. To further improve the insulation properties of the windows, we offer double pane windows with argon or krypton gas in the air space.
Why Choose IGUs?
Homeowners opt to install IGUs, whether replacing a single pane or installing during construction of a new house, reap the many benefits immediately after installation. These benefits range from:
- A reduction in your home’s energy bill cost; some units save homeowners up to 50 percent in your energy expenses.
- Noise pollution is reduced. This quality is especially valuable to our clients who live in busy, urban area.
- IGUs prevent up to 25 percent of the sun’s heat from entering your home, reducing glare and UV damage to carpeting, drapes, and furniture.
These benefits, along with many more, range based on the number of windows, and other energy saving measures used in your home.
Signs of a Useless IGU
If you are considering upgrading your home’s windows or IGUs or updating worn-out double pane windows look no further. Glass Doctor of Cypress is here to help. Our technicians are trained to recognize the signs of a defective or broken IGU and can walk you through the process of installing a new pane.
Over the past two decades, IGUs have become the standard window option for new construction. However, according to the American Housing Survey, many homes in America were built during the 1980s. These homes are more likely to have single pane windows, or IGUs that have aged past their usefulness. There are some warning signs that show if your double pane windows have outlived their usefulness. These signs include:
- A cloudy appearance to the glass.
- Distorted or broken panes
- Condensation forming between the panes
Installation and Replacement
Windows account for 24 percent of residential heat loss; if your windows are in disrepair it is critical that you seek a solution. The experts at Glass Doctor of Cypress will give you step-by-step instructions that show the process of replacing/installing an IGU.
1. The old window will be removed in its entirety, including the casing, trim and sill plate.
2. Prepare the space for a new window:
- Clean the opening and remove any dirt or debris
- Repair or replace any damaged lumber or material
- Ensure the opening is level and square
- Remove any siding or resize the opening to accommodate the size of the new window
3.Install the window using the manufacturer recommended hardware and adjust the fit with shims until it is plumb and square.
4. Finally, add spray and traditional insulation to any gap surrounding the window frame. Replace any siding, trim or casing.
Count on Glass Doctor
Do not worry if you don’t have time to replace your window panes. Glass Doctor of Cypress delivers premium customer service along with ensuring that your home is protected. Discover the difference between double pane windows and single pane windows and how it could affect your space today. Schedule an appointment online or call us at (832) 593-9988 and talk to one of our specialists about IGUs.