Windshield Repair and Replacement
When the windshield of your vehicle has sustained damage due to an accident or other circumstances, you likely have questions about your repair or replacement options. The specialists at Glass Doctor®of Columbia, TN will fix most chips; however, severe damage requires more urgent attention. We conduct a comprehensive assessment of your vehicle and consider various factors before recommending windshield repair or replacement.
A windshield crack is more than a cosmetic nuisance: Damage to the glass is a safety concern that cannot be ignored. Not only does the windshield offer protection from the elements, but it’s also a central component of the vehicle’s structural engineering. In the event of an accident, the windshield stabilizes the car’s frame and lessens the impact. Cracks or chips in the windshield reduce the entire vehicle’s ability to withstand pressure.
Factors that indicate replacement is necessary include:
- Size: Cracks deeper than 3/8 inch and those longer than three inches are a red flag that windshield replacement is necessary to safeguard the structural strength of the glass and the safety of passengers.
- Location: Our specialists may recommend replacement for fissures along the windshield’s edge, since the damage is likely to spread. Any damage in the center will also require replacement, as repairs leave a slight outline that may distract drivers.
- Passage of Time: If a significant amount of time has passed since damage occurred, it’s more likely that our specialist will advise replacement instead of windshield repair. Dirt and debris penetrates the cracks, making a sufficient repair difficult or impossible.
Under certain circumstances, repair of your windshield will be sufficient to ensure your vehicle’s structural integrity and safety. The Glass Doctor of Columbia, TN repair process ensures that chips and cracks don’t spread, and that the end result is virtually unnoticeable.
There are several advantages to repair as compared to windshield replacement:
- Cost: Repair is far more reasonably priced than replacement, even when insurance covers a portion of the cost.
- Environmental Impact: When your windshield needs replacement, the damaged glass is not recyclable and ends up in a landfill. Repair is more environmentally friendly.
- Convenience: In most cases, Glass Doctor of Columbia, TN specialists can complete repairs less than 60 minutes. You’re ready to go quickly and aren’t left without a car for hours or days.
The repair process starts with removing dust and debris from the damaged area and smoothing out rough edges. A professional-grade resin is then applied, adhering to the glass and filling in all crevices. Once dry, the resin is buffed and polished, leaving a clear finish.
Every situation involving windshield damage is different, so the Glass Doctor of Columbia, TN team carefully examines your vehicle before making recommendations. We also consider your budget and handle filings with major insurance companies for you. We’re proud to offer a Windshield Protection Plan that covers windshield damage for up to 12 months after performing windshield replacement.
Contact the specialists at Glass Doctor of Columbia, TN with questions or to set up a windshield assessment and consultation.