Windshield Repair and Replacement
Driving with a cracked or chipped windshield compromises the structural integrity of the vehicle as well as the safety of the driver and passengers. The longer you wait to get the windshield inspected, the worse the damage gets, increasing the extent and cost of the repair job. Glass Doctor® of Tuscaloosa has ample experience with both windshield repair and replacement.
Windshield Damage Assessment
There are several factors that we take into consideration to determine if the best option is a windshield repair or replacement: size, location and timespan.
- Size: Typically chips exceeding 3/8 inch and cracks longer than three inches require a full windshield replacement.
- Location: When a crack spreads to the edge of the windshield, generally the windshield must be replaced. Otherwise the crack is likely to keep spreading. It is also necessary to replace the windshield when the crack or chip occurs in the line of vision. Many windshield repairs don't cure clearly, leaving a faint outline in the repair region and consequently, impairing the driver's vision.
- Timespan: The longer cracks and chips go untreated, the more dirt and debris builds up in the windshield. When we are unable to make a successful repair, we have to replace the windshield.
Whenever possible, Glass Doctor of Tuscaloosa will repair a windshield to ensure customers the many benefits of windshield repair service.
- Convenience: Our specialists complete most repair jobs in less than an hour.
- Cost: Windshield repair is much less expensive than windshield replacement.
- Insurance advantages: Due to the lower cost, many insurance companies cover the cost of a windshield repair.
- Environmental responsibility: Repairing a windshield keeps the glass out of a landfill.
Glass Doctor of Tuscaloosa glass specialists start by getting rid of dirt and other debris from the damaged region. In some instances, they'll use a drill to clear the area before injecting a special resin with a tool that attaches to the glass's surface. After the resin cures, they polish it to a clear finish.
In the event of a rollover accident, a vehicle's windshield is responsible for 60% of the structural integrity. While the exact percentage varies slightly from one model and make to the next, there is no question that an intact windshield is key for keeping a vehicle's occupants safe. Glass Doctor of Tuscaloosa takes the following steps to guarantee proper windshield replacement.
- We select and install a windshield that matches the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) quality.
- Our specialists remove the damaged windshield with care to avoid harming the bonding surface and paint, which may lead to corrosion and leaks.
- During the windshield replacement, we only use adhesives that meet Auto Glass Safety Council™ (AGSC) standards. We also adhere to their recommended one hour drying time so the adhesive cures fully before the driver takes the vehicle on the road again.
- We go through the terms of our G12® Road Hazard Guarantee. If your new windshield undergoes damage within one calendar year, we will repair chips and cracks at no extra charge. If the windshield is damaged beyond repair, we will replace the entire windshield at no extra charge.
Before you have your windshield repaired or replaced at Glass Doctor of Tuscaloosa, contact your insurance agent to confirm your coverage. We work with all major insurance carriers in the greater Tuscaloosa area and handle the insurance filing for our customers.
The next time you're facing a windshield chip or crack, don't put off getting the repair done. To learn more about our windshield repair and replacement services or to make an appointment, contact Glass Doctor of Tuscaloosa by filling our online form or call at 205-535-1748.