Windshield Repair and Replacement
Getting a crack or chip in your windshield makes driving stressful. When you suffer windshield damage, contact Glass Doctor® of Wilmington, NC, as soon as possible. Our glass experts have extensive experience performing auto glass repair and replacement work on a variety of car, trucks and SUVs. We are proud members of the Auto Glass Safety Council. All of our specialists are trained in the auto glass replacement best practices and use only the best tools, adhesives and techniques in the industry.
To decide if your best option is windshield repair or replacement, Glass Doctor considers a few factors.
- Size: Though there are a few exceptions, chips larger than 3/8 inch and cracks more than three inches long generally require windshield replacement.
- Location: Cracks that have splintered to the edge of the windshield typically require replacement due to their tendency to spread. Chips or cracks directly in your line of vision require replacement as well, as a repair often does not cure clearly, leaving a slight outline in the repair area.
- Timespan: The longer you leave chips and cracks unaddressed, the more likely dirt will build up making it difficult to perform a successful repair, and requiring a replacement.
Glass Doctor works with all major insurance carriers, handling the insurance filing for you. It is advisable to contact your local agent to verify coverage before having your windshield repaired or replaced.
Don’t let a crack in your windshield threaten the safety of your family. Contact Glass Doctor today. Our auto glass specialists have the skills and experience necessary to determine your windshield replacement and repair needs.
Windshield damage is no small problem. In the event of a rollover accident, the windshield holds 60% of the structural system in most vehicles. Typically Glass Doctor of Wilmington, NC, specialists take care of a chip or small crack in under an hour. As most major insurance companies cover minor windshield repairs, the work won't cost you a penny. We'll also handle all of the insurance paperwork for you. When a vehicle is in need of a replacement, we restore full glass clarity and windshield technology.
Windshield repair is an inexpensive alternative to windshield replacement that can stop chips and cracks from spreading.
Glass Doctor recommends repair over replacement because:
- Convenience: Glass Doctor specialists typically perform windshield repairs within an hour.
- Inexpensive: Windshield repair is far more economical than replacing the whole windshield.
- Insurance Advantages: Because of the economic advantages of repair vs. replacement, many insurance companies will waive your deductible and pay for the windshield repair.
- Environmentally Responsible: Repairing your windshield keeps your old glass out of a landfill, where it will stay forever.
To properly repair your windshield, Glass Doctor specialists remove debris from the impacted area, sometimes using a drill to create a clean passageway for the repair resin. A special resin is then injected into the damaged area using a tool that attaches to the surface of the glass. After injection, the resin is cured and polished to a clear finish.
Auto Glass Replacement
Tempered glass is a key aspect of passenger safety in a modern vehicle. When a vehicle is hit, tempered glass separates into small, safe chunks. Not breaking into large shards protects passengers from serious glass injury. Most vehicles feature tempered glass in the back windshield, quarter glass, passenger windows and sunroof positions. As tempered glass shatters on impact, it must be replaced. We provide an accurate upfront price estimate and expert consultation for the glass replacement. Glass Doctor of Wilmington, NC, works with most insurance carriers, ensuring that we'll be able to offer full assistance during the entire auto glass repair and replacement process.
- The windshield is carefully removed to avoid damage to the paint and bonding surface, which can cause leaks and corrosion.
- A windshield matching the OEM (original equipment manufacturer) quality is selected for installation.
- Only Auto Glass Safety Council (AGSC) approved adhesives are applied to cars during the windshield replacement.
- The new windshield is replaced following procedures recommended by the AGSC. The recommended one hour drive-away time for passenger safety is then observed, allowing the adhesive to cure for safe driveaway time.
- We review our G12® Road Hazard Guarantee, which states if your new windshield is damaged within 12 months, we will repair chips and cracks free of charge. If the windshield is broken beyond repair, Glass Doctor will replace the glass for free.
Auto Glass Protection
All Glass Doctor of Wilmington, NC, windshield replacements come with our G12® Road Hazard Guarantee. For an extra fee, drivers can upgrade to our G12 Value Package. As part of the package, if your windshield gets damaged during the coverage period, the labor costs are repair materials are covered. The team will install new wiper blades and an application of Clear Choice™ glass protectant, too. Clear Choice makes glass water, stain and scratch resistant, protecting it from weathering, environmental hazards and mineral deposits. With greater visibility in inclement weather, you'll drive more safely than ever.