Windshield wipers. You use them all the time, but until you find yourself leaning forward in the driver’s seat for a clearer view, they’re likely to go overlooked, reducing driving safety and damaging your windshield. Avoid neglecting these hard working components of your vehicle with proper care and maintenance.
Do your windshield wipers need to be replaced?
Did you know the average vehicle owner replaces their wiper blades only once every 2.5 years? A sobering thought when you consider windshield wipers should be replaced at least once every 6 months, and inspected monthly for wear-and-tear, to keep your field of vision clear and prevent damage to your windshield. Are your wipers worn-out? Don’t wait for a dangerous situation, look for these signs:
- Rubber that has split or pulled away from the wiper arm.
- Torn or worn rubber edges.
- Bent or cracked metal arms.
- Streaking or hazing of your windshield when wipers are in use.
- Noisy, chattering wipers that don’t smoothly clean the glass.
- Blades that pull away from the windshield at high speeds.
Making it a routine.
Bringing your vehicle in for a service or oil change? Have wiper blades inspected for condition. Replacing windshield wipers when you go in for routine service such as an oil change is a great way to make it a habit, or you can simply write it on the calendar and handle it yourself. Changing windshield wipers takes only a few minutes - most simply snap in place.
Help those new wipers last to prevent windshield damage and reduced visibility:
- Never use your windshield wipers to remove snow or ice. To avoid damaging wiper blades, rely on an ice scraper and your defroster instead.
- When washing your car, clean both your windshield and the rubber part of your wipers with a small amount of glass cleaner on a sponge.
- Clean your windshield as well as the rubber element on your wipers when filling up your gas tank to remove dirt and grime.
Improve visibility, repel rain, and aid your windshield wipers with the help of Aquapel.
Products such as Aquapel Glass treatment can promote vehicle safety and prolong the life of both your windshield and wiper blades. Applied to your windshield, side windows, and rear window, Aquapel:
- Repels rain and improves visibility.
- Eases the removal of snow, ice, and dirt.
- Reduces glare resulting from rain, especially at night.
- Reduces water marks.
- Keeps down salt water.
- Keep your vision clear for smooth sailing…
Ninety percent of all driving decisions are based on visual cues, making a clear field of vision essential to the safety of you and your passengers. Ensure optimal driving visibility by keeping up with wiper maintenance. Properly functioning wipers not only protect your windshield glass and promote a clear field of vision, but make the removal of visual obstructions such as bugs, bird dropping, tar, and other dirt faster and easier.
Adding products such as Aquapel for additional protection and visibility, as well as addressing chips and cracks that could destroy your visibility (and eventually your windshield), are also key to driving safety.
Have worn out windshield wipers taken their toll on your windshield? You can count on the specialists at Glass Doctor® to repair or replace your auto glass in a snap. For over 50 years, Glass Doctor has served the residential, automotive, and commercial glass needs of customers across the U.S and Canada.