Windshield Repair and Replacement
If your vehicle has recently encountered windshield damage, you may be wondering whether repair or replacement is necessary. While Glass Doctor® can repair most chipped windshields, cracks typically longer than three inches indicate an immediate need for windshield replacement in order to protect the structural integrity of your car and the safety of its occupants.
Determining the Best Service
We always choose to repair windshields rather than replace them whenever possible, but sometimes a new windshield is the only option. Several factors allow out glass experts to decide if windshield repair or replacement is the best choice:
- Size: Windshields typically need to be replaced if they have chips larger than 3/8 inch or cracks greater than three inches long.
- Location: Cracks around the edges of the windshield tend to spread, and usually require replacement, as do chips or cracks directly in your line of vision.
- Duration: Dirt builds up in cracks over time, so the longer you wait to have your windshield repaired the more likely it is that a full replacement will be necessary.
The specialists at Glass Doctor of Tallahassee have a detailed procedure for repairing windshield glass, starting with removing debris from the area and using a drill to create a space the repair resin. We injected the resin into the damaged area using a specialized tool. Once the resin is injected, it is allowed to dry and then polished to a clear finish.
Our team repairs performs windshield chip repair on all vehicles. We recommend windshield repair over replacement for several reasons:
- Windshield repair is much less expensive than replacement.
- Because repairs are so cost effective, your insurance company may waive your deductible, making it essentially free for you.
- Windshield repair is more convenient. Our team usually completes repairs within an hour.
- It's better for the environment. Choosing repair over replacement keeps your old windshield from ending up in a landfill.
Sometimes, when a windshield is too severely damaged to be safely repaired, our team will replace the pane to restore clarity and structural integrity. We undergo a rigorous procedure to make sure your windshield is replaced properly.
- The damaged windshield is removed carefully to avoid damage to the paint and bonding surface.
- We select a new windshield matching the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) specifications.
- We replace your windshield following procedures outlined by the Auto Glass Safety Council™ (AGSC), using only AGSC-approved adhesives.
- To allow the adhesive to cure completely, we observe the recommended one-hour waiting period.
To ensure every customer has a successful windshield service, we guarantee our replacement panes for a year. Glass Doctor of Tallahassee customers receive our G12® Road Hazard Guarantee free of charge. If your windshield incurs damage within 12 months, we will repair it for free.
Before setting your appointment, contact your insurance agent to verify coverage before bringing your vehicle to Glass Doctor of Tallahassee for windshield repair or replacement. We work with all major carriers, and will even take care of the insurance filing for you. Don't delay windshield crack repair, contact Glass Doctor of Tallahassee today.