Windshield Repair and Replacement
A crack in your vehicle’s windshield can become a catastrophe, with road grime and wear and tear turning a small crack into a much larger problem. Luckily, the trained specialists at Glass Doctor® of Island County in Oak Harbor will conveniently and economically fix most windshield cracks and chips. When the cracks create structural safety problems, however, the windshield may need to be replaced.
Windshield Repair or Replacement: Which Do You Need?
Glass Doctor of Island County in Oak Harbor will repair your windshield if possible, getting you back on the road with little disruption to your schedule or your budget. To determine windshield repair or replacement, we consider these details:
- How big is it? In general, windshield cracks longer than three inches, or chips larger than 3/8 inches across, require windshield replacement.
- Where is it? If a crack reaches the windshield’s edge, it usually needs to be replaced because the crack will only spread if an attempt is made to fix it, either immediately or later on. In addition, chipped or cracked areas right in the driver’s sight line necessitate windshield replacement, since repaired areas can cure with a slight anomaly, leaving a faint outline.
- How long has it been there? The more time that passes after a windshield crack or chip, the higher the chance of accumulating grime, which can make repairs impossible and make replacing your windshield necessary.
We have relationships with auto insurance companies and will easily handle insurance paperwork on your behalf, provided you have coverage.
Windshield repair is the least costly option to repair annoying chips and structurally problematic cracks to keep the damage from spreading. Our team recommends repair over replacement, if possible, because of:
- Added convenience: Our skilled specialists will usually handle your windshield repair in an hour or less.
- Cost savings: Fixing the windshield saves you money over windshield replacement cost.
- Insurance benefits: Due to the savings, many insurance carriers waive deductibles and simply pay for the windshield repair.
- Environmental awareness: Windshield repair keeps your current windshield on your vehicle instead of in the local landfill, where it could remain forever.
To properly repair your windshield, the specialists at Glass Doctor of Island County in Oak Harbor clean the damaged area and may drill a smooth tunnel to inject the repair resin. The resin fills the chip or crack. The resin is soon cured and finished to blend with your windshield.
The Auto Glass Safety Council™ (AGSC) has found that your vehicle’s windshield can be responsible for more than half of your vehicle’s architectural strength in a rollover accident. To maintain your safety, when the damage warrants it, Glass Doctor of Island County replaces your vehicle’s windshield using these steps:
- Our trained auto glass specialists remove your windshield with care, avoiding paint damage and protecting the bonding surface, which if breached can cause rust around the windshield.
- An OEM (original equipment manufacturer) windshield replacement is prepared for installation.
- The new windshield is installed following AGSC best practices and only AGSC-approved adhesive is used
- After just an hour, your vehicle is ready to drive.
Before you go, your specialists will explain the details of our G12® Road Hazard Guarantee, providing free repair if your new windshield is damaged within 12 months. If the windshield is broken beyond repair within the time of the guarantee, Glass Doctor will provide a free replacement windshield. Exclusions Apply.
Glass Doctor of Island County provides windshield repair and replacement services to customers in Oak Harbor, Coupeville, Greenbank and surrounding communities. Schedule an appointment online with our auto glass specialists!