Windshield Repair and Replacement
Although glass has been around for thousands of years, it takes a specialized expert to handle it correctly. Haphazard handling of glass can result in disastrous consequences. Only experts should perform windshield repair, windshield replacement and other glass installations. They understand the dynamics, science and research that make glass products safe for you and your passengers.
If your vehicle has sustained any type of windshield damage, you might wonder whether you need a replacement or a repair. Glass Doctor® of Lake City specialists repair a majority of chipped windshields; however, if the glass is cracked, it is usually an indication that the windshield needs to be replaced. This is done to protect the structural integrity of your windshield and keep all of your passengers safe.
There are several factors to consider when deciding whether windshield repair or windshield replacement is needed.
- Extent of Damage: Chips bigger than 3/8 of an inch or cracks that are longer than three inches will require a complete windshield replacement.
- Location: If the crack is located close to the windshield’s edge or in a driver’s line of vision, a replacement is necessary. Repairing the damaged area may interfere with your ability to see properly through the windshield while you’re driving.
- Time: If you don't get the chip or crack dealt with shortly after the damage occurs, the greater chance you will need a complete replacement. Cracks can spread quickly and chips may get larger, making it difficult to repair completely.
Glass Doctor of Lake City works with all major insurance companies and will even handle the paperwork for you. It is always recommended that you check with your insurance agent to verify whether or not you have coverage, before you have a windshield repair or windshield replacement.
A repair is a less inexpensive alternative to a complete replacement, and can prevent cracks or chips from spreading. Glass Doctor recommends a repair over a replacement for the following reasons:
- Fast Service: Glass Doctor specialists can complete most windshield repair jobs within an hour.
- More Economical: It costs far less to fix a windshield than to completely replace it.
- Better Insurance Coverage: Many companies may waive the deductible for repairs verses replacements.
- Safety: A repair will keep the factory-installed components intact
Getting your windshield replaced is an integral part of your overall safety in your vehicle. Glass Doctor ensures the safe and proper replacement of your windshield by following a set of procedures.
- The windshield is carefully removed; making sure the bonding surface is not damaged.
- A windshield that matches the original equipment manufactured (OEM) is chosen.
- Adhesives approved by the Auto Glass Safety Council™ (AGSC) are used during the replacement. The windshield is then replaced using the procedures that are set out by the AGSC.
- A Glass Doctor specialist reviews our G12® Road Hazard Guarantee, which covers your new windshield for 12 months. Any damage will be repaired or replaced for free within that time frame. For information about our 12-month windshield guarantee, visit G12 Road Hazard Guarantee.
Contact Glass Doctor of Lake City to repair or replace your damaged windshield!