A chip or crack to your windshield can quickly cause safety risks to your vehicle and the passengers inside. Fixing damage to your windshield is about more than repairing a blemish. It’s about increasing the safety of those in your vehicle. Glass Doctor® of Friendship, WI, urges you to repair or replace your windshield as soon as you notice damage.
Repair or Replacement?
When Glass Doctor of Friendship, WI, works on your car, a glass specialist will determine the need to repair or replace the windshield based on the following:
- Location: If a chip is in your line of sight or a crack is near the edge of the glass, you most likely need a full windshield replacement.
- Age: The longer chips or cracks linger, the more dirt and debris they accumulate. High levels of dirt reduce a repair’s success, resulting in a full windshield replacement.
- Size: In general, chips larger than a 3/8-inch, about the size of a quarter, and cracks longer than three inches warrant a windshield replacement.
Depending on your insurance carrier, your auto policy may cover windshield damages. Glass Doctor of Friendship, WI, suggests that you talk to your insurance agent to learn if your policy provides this type of coverage before scheduling repair services.
When Glass Doctor of Friendship, WI, works on your windshield, a glass specialist: cleans the chip or crack to remove dirt and other debris, injects high quality resin into the damage and let cure for an hour, and polishes the resin for an invisible finish.
Glass Doctor of Friendship, WI, always opts to repair windshields whenever it’s a safe choice because of the cost benefits and the hazards they help prevent. Other benefits of windshield repairs include:
- Convenience: Glass Doctor of Friendship, WI, works around your schedule. Repairs usually take less than 60 minutes to complete.
- Savings: It’s less expensive to repair a windshield than it is to replace it.
- Insurance benefits: Some auto policies cover the cost of windshield repairs and waive the deductible.
- Environmentally Conscience: Because windshield glass is difficult to recycle, windshields often end up in landfills. When you opt for a repair, you reduce the demand for raw materials.
- Increased safety: Maintaining a damage free windshield is important for you and your passengers. Windshields provide 45% of the vehicle’s structural strength in the event of a head on collision.
According to the Auto Glass Safety Council™ (AGSC), in a rollover accident, a vehicle’s windshield accounts for up to 60% of the overall structural integrity. Consequently, Glass Doctor of Friendship, WI advises that you repair or replace your windshield as soon as you notice any damage.
When a glass specialist replaces a windshield, the individual performs the following:
- Carefully removes the windshield to prevent damage to the bonding surface.
- Chooses a windshield that meets the Auto Glass Replacement Safety Standards (AGRSS).
- Uses an adhesive approved by the AGSC.
- Installs the windshield using AGSC standards.
- Lets the adhesive dry for an hour to ensure a proper seal.
At Glass Doctor of Friendship, WI, we back our services with the G12® Road Hazard Guarantee. If your new windshield is cracked or chipped in the 12 months following an installation, we will take care of it for a large discounted price.
Tiny chips and cracks can turn into big financial problems. The specialists at Glass Doctor of Friendship, WI are dedicated to using industry standards to give you the best auto-glass work at a reasonable price. schedule an appointment today to have your windshield repaired or replaced by our specialists.