A windshield repair or replacement pays for itself when you consider the safety it provides in a collision. Fixing a crack or chip in your windshield is about more than repairing a blemish. It’s about increasing the safety of those in your vehicle. Glass Doctor® of Elizabeth, NJ urges you to repair or replace your windshield as soon as you notice damage.
Windshield Repair and Replacement
When Glass Doctor of Elizabeth, NJ works on your car, a glass specialist will determine the need to repair or replace the windshield based on the following:
- Location: If a chip is in your line of sight or a crack is near the edge of the glass, you most likely need a full windshield replacement.
- Age: The longer chips or cracks linger, the more dirt and debris they accumulate. High levels of dirt reduce a repair’s success, resulting in a full windshield replacement.
- Size: In general, chips larger than a 3/8-inch and cracks longer than three inches warrant a windshield replacement.
Depending on your insurance carrier, your auto policy may cover windshield damages. Glass Doctor of Elizabeth, NJ suggests that you talk to your insurance agent to learn if your policy provides this type of coverage before scheduling repair services. If you learn that you do have windshield coverage, we’re more than happy to file the insurance paperwork on your behalf.
Windshield Repair Steps
When Glass Doctor of Elizabeth, NJ works on your windshield, a glass specialist:
- Cleans the chip or crack to remove dirt and other debris.
- Makes a passageway for resin to enter the blemish using a drill, if necessary.
- Injects resin into the chip or crack and lets it harden.
- Polishes the resin for an invisible finish.
Advantages of Windshield Repair
Glass Doctor of Elizabeth, NJ always opts to repair windshields whenever it’s a safe choice because of the cost benefits and the hazards they help prevent. Other benefits of windshield repairs include:
- Ultimate convenience: Glass Doctor of Elizabeth, NJ works around your schedule. Repairs usually take less than 60 minutes to complete.
- Money savings: It’s less expensive to repair a windshield than it is to replace it.
- Your insurance may cover the cost: Some auto policies cover the cost of windshield repairs and waive the deductible.
- Help the planet: Because windshield glass is difficult to recycle, windshields often end up in landfills. When you opt for a repair, you reduce the demand for raw materials.
- Increase safety: Maintaining a damage free windshield is important for you and your passengers. Windshields provide 45% of the vehicles structural strength in the event of a head on collision.
Windshield Replacement Steps
According to the Auto Glass Safety Council™ (AGSC), in a rollover accident, a vehicle’s windshield accounts for up to 60% of the overall structural integrity. Consequently, Glass Doctor of Elizabeth advises that you repair or replace your windshield as soon as you notice any damage.
When a glass specialist replaces a windshield, the individual performs the following:
- Carefully removes the windshield to prevent damage to the bonding surface.
- Chooses a windshield that matches your car’s original equipment manufactured (OEM) quality.
- Chooses an adhesive approved by the Auto Glass Safety Council (AGSC).
- Installs the windshield using AGSC standards.
- Lets the adhesive dry for an hour to ensure a proper seal.
At Glass Doctor of Elizabeth, NJ, we back our services with the G12® Road Hazard Guarantee. If your new windshield is cracked or chipped in the 12 months following an installation, we will take care of it for free.