Whether the windshield of your vehicle is suffering from small chips or cracks that need repair, or it is damaged to the extent that replacement is inevitable, the specialists at Glass Doctor® of Charleston, SC have the experience and skills necessary to take care of all of your auto glass needs.
Windshield Repair or Replacement
In order to decide whether your vehicle's windshield can be repaired or if a replacement is recommended, the specialists at Glass Doctor of Charleston, SC take a variety of factors into consideration.
- Size: In most situations, windshield replacement is recommended for chips that measure more than 3/8 inch in diameter and cracks that are larger than three inches in length in order to maintain the integrity of your vehicle's windshield.
- Location: Chips that are located near eye level typically require windshield replacement in order to prevent your line of vision from being obstructed; repaired areas sometimes leave a cloudy spot. Additionally, cracks that are located on or near the edge of the windshield tend to spread more easily and often indicate a need for complete windshield replacement.
- Age of Damage: Older cracks and chips are susceptible to the build up of dirt and debris, making a successful repair more difficult. Failure to address even smaller cracks or chips early on will result in windshield replacement. Luckily, our team specializes in windshield replacement, too.
When you choose to have your windshield repaired the specialists at Glass Doctor of Charleston, SC clear away any dirt or debris from the damaged area first. In some cases, a drill is used to create a smooth, clean base for the repair resin. The specialist then injects the damaged area with the repair resin, and the area is cured. As a final touch, the repaired area is polished to a clear finish.
There are numerous benefits to having your windshield repaired instead of replaced whenever possible.
- Cost: Windshield repair is much less expensive than having your entire windshield replaced and many insurance companies will even opt to waive your deductible when you choose repair instead of replacement. Contact your individual auto insurance carrier for details about your auto glass coverage.
- Fast and Convenient: The specialists at Glass Doctor of Charleston, SC are available on your schedule, and since repairs typically take less than one hour, in most cases your windshield can be repaired while you wait.
- Environment: When you choose to have your existing windshield repaired you won't need to worry about your glass being discarded in your local landfill.
When windshield replacement is required the specialists at Glass Doctor of Charleston, SC possess the experience and necessary skills to get the job done right. Following the procedures recommended by the Auto Glass Safety Council™ (AGSC), we will replace your damaged glass with a new windshield that matches the OEM (original equipment manufacturer) quality to ensure the safety and integrity of your vehicle is restored.
- Removal of the Damaged Windshield: Your old windshield will be carefully removed in order to maintain a damage-free bonding surface for your replacement windshield.
- High Quality Adhesives: Glass Doctor of Charleston, SC uses high quality adhesives that are approved by the AGSC to help prevent leakage, corrosion and to ensure proper sealing.
- One Hour Drive-Away: In order to allow the adhesive to properly cure and form a stable seal, a one hour drive-away time is observed.
- G12® Road Hazard Guarantee: We will repair or replace damaged windshields free of charge for the first 12 months after installation.
Contact the specialists at Glass Doctor of Charleston, SC for all of your windshield repair or replacement needs.