Windshield Repair and Replacement
A damaged windshield is a common issue for many Charleston auto drivers and you might be asking yourself if a windshield repair could fix your problem. Glass Doctor® of East Central Illinois is able to help you with all your windshield repairs and replacements. With the exception of cracks that threaten the architectural strength of your vehicle, we can repair almost any damage.
Factors to Consider
In the process of determining your options, we take the following factors into consideration:
- Size: The size of the damage determines if our auto glass specialists can make a repair. If the damaged area is too big, a replacement is necessary.
- Location: The placement of the crack can often determine if a repair is sufficient. Cracks that have splintered to the edge of the windshield will require replacement due to their tendency to spread. Chips or cracks directly in your line of sight also require replacement, as repairs always leave a slight outline and may obstruct your vision.
- Timespan: Leaving chips and cracks unattended will allow dirt to build up and the damage to increase. The longer you wait, the more difficult it will be to perform a successful repair and in the end, your only alternative may be to replace it.
Whenever possible, we recommend windshield repair over replacement, as it has the following advantages:
- Convenience: At Glass Doctor of East Central Illinois, we normally perform all repairs within an hour.
- Inexpensive: A windshield repair is far more budget-friendly than a replacement.
- Insurance Advantages: There are many situations where your insurance company might waive your deductible and pay in full for the repair.
In the process of repairing your windshield, our auto glass specialists will remove debris from the impacted area, sometimes using a drill to create a clean passageway for the repair resin. The actual repair is performed using a tool that attaches to the surface of the glass, which allows us to inject the special resin. After the resin is cured, we will finish the job by polishing the repaired area to a clear finish.
Your windshield constitutes up to 60% of the structural integrity of your vehicle in a rollover accident, according to the Auto Glass Safety Council (AGSC). Although the exact percentage varies between different automakers and models, it is obvious that a functional windshield is essential for your safety.
During the replacement process, our auto glass specialists only use materials and adhesives approved by the AGSC and standards and practices.
Glass Doctor of East Central Illinois works with all major U.S. insurance carriers and even handles the filing for you. However, even if your auto insurance covers the cost, it is advisable to contact your local agent to verify coverage before you begin the installation.
Take care of your vehicle and don’t let a crack in your windshield threaten the safety of your family. Contact Glass Doctor of East Central Illinois today and allow our team of Charleston auto glass specialists to help you. Call now!