Windshield Repair and Replacement
If your vehicle has a damaged windshield, you might be wondering if a repair or replacement is necessary. Glass Doctor® of Bloomington IN, will repair most chipped windshields. Cracks longer than three inches might affect the structural integrity of your car and endanger the occupants, so in this case, a replacement windshield is usually required.
To determine the best windshield repair or replacement option, a specialist will consider a few factors.
- Damage Location: A crack that has splintered to the edge of a windshield will often require replacement to prevent further spread. A windshield with chips or cracks that block your line of vision may also require replacement.
- Size: If a chip is larger than 3/8 inch or a crack is larger than three inches long, a windshield replacement is generally indicated. There are a few exceptions to this guideline.
- Timespan: The longer a chip or crack remains unaddressed, the more likely dirt and debris will build up, making a successful repair more difficult.
Glass Doctor of Bloomington IN, works closely with most major insurance carriers and will handle the filing paperwork for you. Please contact your local agent to verify coverage before having your windshield replaced or repaired.
Putting off a windshield replacement or repair can threaten the safety of your family. Don’t wait to call Glass Doctor of Bloomington IN. Our team has the skills and experience needed to evaluate your windshield replacement and repair needs.
A windshield repair is often a less expensive alternative to full windshield replacement; a repair will stop chips and cracks from spreading.
A repair might be recommended over replacement because:
- Convenience: A specialist from Glass Doctor of Bloomington IN, will generally perform a windshield repair within an hour.
- Expense: Repairing a windshield is a more economical option than replacement of the whole windshield.
- Insurance Advantages: Due to the economic advantage of repair vs. full replacement, many insurance companies will waive your deductible and pay for the repair.
- Environmental Responsibility: Repaired windshields don’t enter landfills, where they will stay forever.
When repairing your windshield, a specialist will remove debris from the impacted area, often using a drill to create a clear passageway for the repair resin. This special resin is injected into the damaged area using a tool that attaches to the surface of the glass. After it is injected, the resin is cured and then polished to a clear finish.
A damaged windshield can impact your safety. The Auto Glass Safety Council™ (AGSC) states that your windshield makes up to 60% of the structural integrity of your vehicle in a rollover accident. This percentage differs, based on the make and model of your car. Glass Doctor of Bloomington IN, will perform a series of steps to ensure the proper replacement of your vehicle’s windshield.
- Your windshield is carefully removed to avoid damage to the paint and bonding surface, which can lead to leaks and corrosion.
- A windshield that matches the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) quality is chosen for installation.
- An AGSC-approved adhesive is applied to vehicles during the windshield replacement.
- Your new windshield is replaced following the procedures recommended by the AGSC. A recommended one-hour drive-away time is observed, for occupant safety, allowing the adhesive to cure.
- Specialists will review the G12® Windshield Road Hazard Guarantee, that states that if your new windshield is damaged within the following 12 months, Glass Doctor of Bloomington IN, will repair chips and cracks, free of charge. We will also replace the windshield at no charge, if it is damaged beyond repair.
For the most comprehensive auto glass repair and replacement services in Indiana, contact Glass Doctor of Bloomington IN. Call us or schedule an appointment online today!