We’ve all heard the old ad slogan, “Calgon take me away.” It’s almost become cliché as a symbol of the ultimate relaxation. But when you have to walk the dog, feed the kids, make lunches, help with homework, get dressed, drop off the kids, pick up the dry cleaners and make it to work all before 8:00 a.m., that Calgon “take-away” is nothing more than a mere pipe dream.
Dictionary.com defines relax: to make less tense, rigid, or firm; make lax: to relax the muscles.
Hmmmmm. Let’s think about that for a minute. Is that really possible? Is it realistic to think we can actually “make lax” in a world where our serenity is diluted with post-it notes, to-do lists, calendars and alarms?
It’s absolutely possible! And you can start to “make lax” right this very minute because your helpful Glass Doctor professionals have five tips for relaxation that will, with no doubt, put you in a Calgon state-of-mind.
- Rub Feet Over a Golf Ball: Studies have shown that a foot massage can promote relaxation. We’re not talking Tiger Woods style golf balls here. Your basic, run-of-the-mill golf balls will do just fine. Take your shoes off, lean your head back, breathe deeply and let the balls do the work.
Foot Massage Benefits from Healthy Living
- Listen to Music: Music has a magical way of transforming you to another time and another place. Pop on the ear buds, sit back, close your eyes and follow wherever your mind leads you.
Top 10 Most Relaxing Songs from PsyAmb
- Exercise: A good workout reduces the body’s stress hormones and ups the feel good chemicals in your brain. Think about the “runner’s high” that marathon participants experience. Simply put, exercise just makes you feel good. Keep a pair of sneakers in your car so you can go for a quick stroll at lunch or after work.
How Exercise Helps You Relax from InteliHealth by Aetna
- Cuddle a Pet: There are a ton of health benefits to having a furry friend. Really, how can you not feel better with a heavy breathing, slobbery licking, tail wagging greeting after a long, hard day at work?
The Therapeutic and Health Benefits of Pets from Helpguide.org
- Laugh: Did you know that laughing is a workout? Well, not entirely, but a good ol’ belly-busting laugh can work a lot of muscles. Which in turn, relaxes the muscles to the point that afterwards, you aren’t as tired and you really do end up with more energy.
How Laughter Therapy Can Relax Muscles and Relieve Stress from 3 Fat Chicks
So, there you have it. Our fabulous-five relaxation tips to help you “make lax” and feel better. Let us know if you have another relaxation method. After all, we all need a “take me away” moment every now and then.